Ankle Crank, ugh.

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Tree319
Circle Kicker

Ankle Crank, ugh.

Post by Tree319 » 17 Jun 2010 04:55

Alright, so i started footbag a few months ago, and i got myself some mesh lavers. i realised they made a HUGE difference compated to my old Nike's. however, all i can do is kick the bag to myself (inside not outside) and toestalls. ive been practicing ankle crank for the longest time, but i just cant seem to get my feet horizontal enough to keep it going straight up. i was wondering if ther were any tricks besides what matt cross said in a previous post about touching the souls of your feet during class, ive done that every day haha. i just need some pointers on how to really help out my ankle crank, thanks.

P.S.
goin to italy today for 2 weeks and im going to try and get some awesome photos in front of the vatican or in the colluseum, ssoo excited haha :D

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 17 Jun 2010 06:08

Basically, give it time.

This topic has been covered a few times before, heres one thread for example. http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopi ... 085#219085.

However, im really bored at work, so heres some rambling thoughts for you :)

Be aware that you dont nessecarily need a huge crank to get a straight set. I dont have a level clipper surface, my toes still point towards the ground a little. However, i can still set nicely to duck it (on my strong side anyway), and thats because the power for setting from clipper should not come JUST from the setting foot, but from the support leg too.

In fact, me and my ducking is a pretty good example. Im 12 months in to playing, and while i can duck on my strong side, the consistency just isnt there on my flip. It is coming however, I came re-donk-ulously close last night, but i digress.

Do all the excersises youve been recommended, they certainly cant hurt, but bear in mind that the only 100% guaranteed way of building up those not-normally used muscles in your ankles is......

.... drum roll please....

Practice :)
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

Nox
Circle Kicker

Post by Nox » 17 Jun 2010 11:01

Im not that far ahead of you but curling my toes has helped tremendously. Bending them upwards helped alot when i was learning toes stalls as well.

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 22 Jun 2010 12:07

Ankle crank is not all about how much your ankles can stretch. It's also about muscle control/strength in your legs.

So, keep stretching those ankles but also do exercises that make you crank your ankles into position repeatedly or for long periods of time.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 11 Jul 2010 08:34

I first stretched by rolling my ankles, then I just worked on flexing my ankles inside. Before five minutes had past, I had a perfect, level, foot.

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 20 Jul 2010 07:04

Pay attention to position, shoulders, knee being bent. how far away your knee's are away from each other. Stand up against a wall with your hand on it, pay attention to all of these while cranking your ankle as best you can, find something that works. And then practice. Also stretch your calf muscles, like in David Clavens clipper tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGNJgqmtt4Y

Unfortunately WyrmFyre is right, with playing somewhat often, aka (practicing) whatever you wanna call it. Give it time and you will learn. I was in the same place when i started. freaking out about ankle crank. I still do sometimes, lol. But its tons better and i pay more attention to positioning which helps the most in my case.
Cory Allen
My Footblog