working on my sponsorship

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
zach4th
Fearless

working on my sponsorship

Post by zach4th » 17 Jul 2006 17:46

Hello Modified!!
My name is Zachary Forth and i live in London Ontario. Anyway as of latley a lot of people (mainly random), have been telling me i should be getting sponcered..... i know there is a section some where on mod. about this sort of thing but i whas hoping to hear some answers on the subject when i asked. i know i have the confidence to do this and i know i can represent footbag, but just getting that initial Laver in the door is the the hard part for me. Which doors, and once im in and givin the oppertunity, what should i say and, well all of that, so please help because thats what we are here for.
Sincerley, hackyZack
Last edited by zach4th on 10 Aug 2006 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Forth

Oroza
Fearless

Post by Oroza » 17 Jul 2006 19:19

To even start thinking of an OPPORTUNITY to get SPONSORED, you should be able to:

-play at a certain level (post what you can do, maybe start a blog)
-make or have someone to make a good video of you.
-have decent social skills, cause youd probably have to do demos, and getting people interested involves alot more than just playing well.
Plain, with everything.

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 17 Jul 2006 20:38

how i got sponsored was just by showing off my skills,

Let them come to you, not the other way around, nd when they ask abotu footbag talk about it as though its a REAL SPORT because alot of people dont think of ot in that way, and when you talk talk about it in a professional manner, and mention how dedicated you are, and how dedicated others are, and let them know there MANY competitions in North american, and in the world for that matter, and that theres a US open, that pretty much how i got sponsored...

hope this helps

if you go to them, it makes it look like your desperate;)

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 18 Jul 2006 10:54

Well, there is a team USA footbag which is somewhat sponsored, but you have to win a few championships to get on that most likely. But eh i dont know if theres a london one yet..... Id say the road to get sponsored (very long one) would be
1. Win a novice competition
2. Win a pro competition
3. Try to form some sort of team England
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 18 Jul 2006 12:43

1. Learn how to spell sponsor.

Wow that was dejavu, I coulda sworn some other kid did the exact same thing like 2 months ago.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 18 Jul 2006 13:46

smokefree wrote:Well, there is a team USA footbag which is somewhat sponsored, but you have to win a few championships to get on that most likely. But eh i dont know if theres a london one yet.....
3. Try to form some sort of team England

You're funny. :lol:

blitz
Shredaholic

Post by blitz » 18 Jul 2006 14:04

I wrote a decent topic on Flipsider about getting sponsored; I've been asked this question countless times so I figured a complete response was useful.

http://www.flipsider.com/know/footbag/g ... nsored.php
- Eliot Piltz, Flipsider.com

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 18 Jul 2006 14:16

Oo, I see it says Ontario, I was skimming through the post in a hurry, my bad. I just saw london.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

zach4th
Fearless

thanks!!

Post by zach4th » 18 Jul 2006 15:12

ill be sure to get my parents to spell check all my posts from now on. i have been shredding freestyls for about three years now, and can exicute all baseline and begainer tricks. im currently working on more advanced tricks. the thing is london dose not have a "seen", im it. as for a video, i am curently working on one, and if you watch speakers corner at all, im on it aswell. i would say i have great social skills so im not to worried about that. i have been thinking about this for some time now andi was not to sure if i would go through with it, butt latley lots of people in my city have been complimenting and saying i should do such a thing. if i go to them, it MAY make me look desperate (which im not) so thats a good reason to come to you all first. its a matter of targeting the wright company. i would compete, if i had the funds, to get the funds a sponsorship maybe the solution. thanks blits thats where i saw this posted befor...it was around two months ago, i think.
Zach Forth

xXLoss_of_ControlXx
Egyptian Footgod

Post by xXLoss_of_ControlXx » 18 Jul 2006 16:46

this is prolly WAY off topic but footbag should have gotten bigger by now, it was depressing cause the other day i was watching ESPN and they had competition EATING! EATING is NOT a sport! It was ridiculous... but the guy ate 51 hot dogs.... :oops:
Freddy Noinaj of the CIC?

"Sweet" Simon

Spontaneous Spaz
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spontaneous Spaz » 18 Jul 2006 17:51

correction *54* hot dogs, and he's that japanese guy, world champion eater, 54 dogs in 12 minutes.. impressive

xXLoss_of_ControlXx
Egyptian Footgod

Post by xXLoss_of_ControlXx » 18 Jul 2006 18:03

was it 54? oh, my bad, but Kobeyashi is the man

"Sweet" Simon

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: thanks!!

Post by C-Fan » 18 Jul 2006 18:39

zach4th wrote:ill be sure to get my parents to spell check all my posts from now on. i have been shredding freestyls .
8O

I don`t know if that was intentional or not, but I peed myself laughing just now :lol: :lol: :lol:

LameR
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by LameR » 18 Jul 2006 22:35

xXLoss_of_ControlXx wrote:this is prolly WAY off topic but footbag should have gotten bigger by now, it was depressing cause the other day i was watching ESPN and they had competition EATING! EATING is NOT a sport! It was ridiculous... but the guy ate 51 hot dogs.... :oops:
That's been on there for a few years. These are things that have been on ESPN that are arguably less of a sport than footbag:

Competitive Eating
Scrabble
Dominos
Darts
Poker
Jump Rope

You could even throw bowling into there if you really want to stretch it. It's all about whether or not a large amount of people would watch it or not, and I guess people at ESPN either have not had a good offer from the footbag community, or they feel that the things listed above are more likely to get them better ratings than footbag would.
-connor campbell
prosers-pros of the posers-
I like my sugar with coffee and cream.

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 19 Jul 2006 02:26

As part of your improving in order to get sponsored, i would definitely work on your spelling and punctuation. Im not trying to be harsh or funny here; seriously you should be able to communicate with potential sponsors not only in person but in writing also. If you can write your letters in a legible and well-presented manner, you will appear more serious and professional about what you are telling them.

To be attractive to a sponsor you need to be able to play at a level that makes footbag clear to the observer, have a watchable and pleasing style and to be constantly able to play at that level (excluding periods of injury of course), without many drops, repititions of the same trick etc, and with lots of variety. Turning up to a demo organised by your sponsor or representing them, and playing well below par because you are having an 'off' day, wont cut it for your sponsor when money is changing hands.
That doesnt mean you have to be at your absolute cutting-edge best all the time, but you need to have a 'fall back' level of play which is equal to what the sponsor expects.
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 19 Jul 2006 07:33

LameR wrote:
xXLoss_of_ControlXx wrote:this is prolly WAY off topic but footbag should have gotten bigger by now, it was depressing cause the other day i was watching ESPN and they had competition EATING! EATING is NOT a sport! It was ridiculous... but the guy ate 51 hot dogs.... :oops:
That's been on there for a few years. These are things that have been on ESPN that are arguably less of a sport than footbag:

Competitive Eating
Scrabble
Dominos
Darts
Poker
Jump Rope
You forgot: Spelling Bee (k-8), cheerleading and such. But dude, don't hate on them jumpropers... they had mad skill yo. Fuck gambling games, they're fun but if you can put a spelling bee and not footbag.. argh
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

xXLoss_of_ControlXx
Egyptian Footgod

Post by xXLoss_of_ControlXx » 19 Jul 2006 09:13

Doninos? like the actuall game or the chain reaction thing?
...Cause thats cool :lol:

"Sweet" Simon

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 19 Jul 2006 09:14

The game, its a fun game, all the domino players seem to african american though, it must be especially popular in that culture.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

Spontaneous Spaz
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spontaneous Spaz » 19 Jul 2006 13:05

King Monkey wrote:As part of your improving in order to get sponsored, i would definitely work on your spelling and punctuation. Im not trying to be harsh or funny here; seriously you should be able to communicate with potential sponsors not only in person but in writing also. If you can write your letters in a legible and well-presented manner, you will appear more serious and professional about what you are telling them.

To be attractive to a sponsor you need to be able to play at a level that makes footbag clear to the observer, have a watchable and pleasing style and to be constantly able to play at that level (excluding periods of injury of course), without many drops, repititions of the same trick etc, and with lots of variety. Turning up to a demo organised by your sponsor or representing them, and playing well below par because you are having an 'off' day, wont cut it for your sponsor when money is changing hands.
That doesnt mean you have to be at your absolute cutting-edge best all the time, but you need to have a 'fall back' level of play which is equal to what the sponsor expects.
you should like send an email,,, or all of us should send an email to ESPN to get them to sponsor the 2007 footbag world championship... and they'd have to tape all the shit and shit... and during their rutines, they'd be like, and now he's doing an alpine bellytwister.. or w/e

ya!

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 19 Jul 2006 15:16

Oh my god. We have never thought of doing that before
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show