Online footbag classes/support groups

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Muffinman
the gimp

Online footbag classes/support groups

Post by Muffinman » 19 Jul 2012 19:34

Hey.
Jay's post on Facebook about starting footbag from scratch really got me thinking that I, and others, could really benefit from following whatever program he establishes for himself as a high-tier player. Even if he doesn't have the time or inclination to help support others with similar aspirations (be they new players or experienced players who want to solidify their basics), I thought that it would be neat if we could collect a number of players who would be interested in some kind of test-group to put together a class, or various classes that could come up with the best ways to progress with schedules and drills and goals and all of that. Maybe multiple classes for various purposes and levels of play. Personally, Jay's interest in re-learning clippers and all of the basics from scratch really interests me. I do some weird things with my basics, and a lot of basics are still really tough to for me, like flip side inside stalls. I can't do outside kicks at all. My toe stalls are weird on one side and I point my knee in, which obscures my vision. I'd love to remedy these problems, and I think others voiced interest in something similar as well. It would be a lot easier, more fun, and motivational with a group who has similar goals. I guess this could be similar to Jorden's classes, but for a whole group who follows roughly the same program -- something that we could develop and refine as it progresses that would help benefit players in the future. Thoughts?

sen
Post Master General

Re: Online footbag classes/support groups

Post by sen » 25 Jul 2012 10:38

I like it. I'm terrible at organizing things though.

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 26 Jul 2012 08:50

I would be in.
Especially since i'm injured and can't shred really hard, a program like that would be a chance for me to play.
And i guess it would help a bit if i test it, cause we need people to do it haha.
Mat

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 28 Jul 2012 23:07

i am interested as well.
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 29 Jul 2012 10:15

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that I teach or lead anything -- the idea was for more of a mutual organization/collaboration. But maybe to get something started, here's what I've gleaned from Jay's and Nick's blogs and what they're doing on their own. I'm also semi-injured right now, Mathieu, so I agree it's a great opportunity to work on basic stalls and kicks.

So I guess none of this is set in stone, but maybe we can collectively or even individually come up with some kind of program that incorporates or is inspired by these drills and exercises:
-5 sets of 100 consecutive inside kicks
__________> progress to 5 sets of 100 consecutive inside kicks (without mistakes in between)
__________> progress to 2 sets of 250 inside kicks
-5 sets of 100 consecutive inside stalls
__________> progress to 5 sets of 100 consecutive inside stalls (without mistakes in between)
__________> progress to 2 sets of 250 inside stalls
-5 sets of 25 alternating inside stalls with no spin on bag
__________> progress to 100 alternating inside stalls with no spin on bag
-flicky toe kicks (max reps or 5 sets of 100?)
-flicky toe stalls (max reps or 5 sets of 100?)
-op inside stall > same foot clipper [repeat] (max reps up to 100?)

Notes on form:
-ensure same form and movement on both sides
-no (or minimized) spin on bag -- ensure same amount of spin on both sides
-relax shoulders, arms, and hands
-try to stay stationary (in one spot)
-avoid progressive turning of the body (especially to only one side) -- a little hard to explain, but maybe you know what I mean?
-

Any thoughts, amendments, adjustments, personal takes or additions? Is there any vital basic kick or stall, or drill, that you think should be included? It would be interesting to get Jay's and or Nick's input. I know Jay had sort of outlined a day-by-day plan, but it seemed a bit fast-paced given the nature of the material. I was thinking of adapting his program to extend every day by a week or at least a few days. Although I also plan to add more than just his 5 sets of 100 inside stalls per day. My own program at the moment works all of the same listed things (a combination of Jay's and Nick's programs) but I'm not quite at the point where I'm doing 5 sets of 100, I'm basically doing max reps of everything because, a) my basics suck, and b) I don't want to push myself too hard, as silly as that sounds. Alternating inside stalls actually tweak my back quite a bit.

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 29 Jul 2012 21:34

are consecutive inside kicks / stalls done all same side? 100 consecutive on just 1 foot?

i will start on this tomorrow & refresh blog.
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 04 Aug 2012 09:16

Support groups?

Hello, my name is Jorden and I admit I have a problem... ;)
Jorden Moir