Footbag Project Forum Inquiry.

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
jay7
Flower Child

Footbag Project Forum Inquiry.

Post by jay7 » 10 Jan 2014 10:59

Salutations.

Background:
I suspect there could be a possible demand for a project forum on Modified. A forum where one can ask for opinions, helpers, advice or man-power for. I, for one, have about three hundred billion ideas I could use this for. After being in Footbag for a few years now, I have a collection of people I go to, when asking for advice or help. However, I realize that many people on here don't have this luxury, for any number of reasons. I, also could quite possibly be missing some great talent, just waiting to be used. People have come to me with their projects, for which I didn't have the skills, and a while later I find out they gave up on the project.

Reason
I have seen a few people bring up a project on facebook, only to get publicly shot-down, humiliated or what-have you for *all* to see. And I think that Facebook being a medium for this is possibly not the best environment for this type of deal. Having a forum on fizzied might be just far enough away from the spotlight, to only get the opinions of those actually willing to navigate through the threads to comment. I have also seen great ideas that get full support on Facebook, die, due to the nature of all updates getting flushed downward, never to be seen again. Remember when Evan Gatesman proposed a Footbag haven? Remember how many actually considered it, but then it just died after three more updates popped up about a guy hitting his first clipper? I think ideas need to be easily accessed, and not lost.

Why are you reading this?
I want your opinions. Do any other of you fine community members think that this sub-forum would have a purpose, and be of use? Is there no interest in such a thing, and should I just go back to the hole I came from? Does anyone have suggestions for thread structure ideas?

More of me blabbing as to why I made this thread
I could see great things coming from this, mediocre things and some stupid things. I can say in my experience working with other people on failing projects, it teaches you things, gives you perspective and gives a higher rate of success for things in the future. I have also seen Footbag projects lead people to places where they never thought they would be, completely unrelated to Footbag. I think this is in its own way, magical and that I would like to see more of it from people I care about.

Thanks for reading.
Jay Boychuk

isirc10
Fearless

Re: Footbag Project Forum Inquiry.

Post by isirc10 » 11 Jan 2014 17:01

I think this is a decent idea, and might create more traction for Modified (the footblog section seems to have sprung to life again). I personally have a few ideas like making batches of laser cut panels for stitchers or even a collaboration of players to have a go at making some shoes - ones that can be produced in low quantities using home CNC equipment like the machines Chris Dean and I are making. Even if this didn't create a successful or marketable design, it would be an interesting learning experience for the community. I, for one, enjoy posting stuff like that to forums because I frequent a few robotics and diy forums and post my creations there - it would be cool to do something similar with footbag.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 11 Jan 2014 17:51

There are a few different projects going on, so it could be helpful, although just posting them in "General Footbag" is also ok. I guess people would be more aware of project discussion if there was a particular forum for it, and we might inspire more people to help.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Jan 2014 12:09

I'm not sure have a new sub forum on here would be the key answer. I think for footbag projects, just putting them in the "General Footbag" section is a good start, even people talking about them in their footblogs. I think a good start is people talking some more about what they're working on, and in the forum environment it doesn't just disappear like on Facebook.

I think it could be good to have a different forum, for people who are looking to do projects related to any kind of sport. I don't know if there's really a good forum for organisers, particularly ones who are starting out, to do something like that.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Jan 2014 13:25

It could also be good to have just a "fotobag projects" thread in general footbag, so when someone says they have a new idea or project, people can get on board with that, or shoot it down in flames, but the original post will still be there. Could be good for people with shoe ideas etc to do things.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 16 Feb 2014 00:24

I don't like the idea of throwing project proposals into General Footbag. Even there, it gets lost in the jumble-ass of other random stuff with new members not knowing what to post where. I think we should have a projects sub-forum. I also have a jumble-ass of ideas and I know this new sub-forum would make other players really start thinking and joining in on the projects.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 16 Feb 2014 13:48

I don't see how this new sub forum could hurt anything. That said, I don't think the absence of the forum should keep people from putting their ideas out there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Allan

Post by Allan » 04 Mar 2014 17:11

I think I'm gonna render a verdict here and I'll go ahead and add a "Projects" sub forum. We've got a few people saying they support it, and it's Jay asking, so of course we should do what he wants, right :) I can't really see how it would be bad thing ...