Your Best Audience / Crowd Pleasers

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
millenniumtree
Multidex Master

Your Best Audience / Crowd Pleasers

Post by millenniumtree » 08 Sep 2004 08:54

I was wondering what your best audience/crowd stories are. Where were you, what tricks were you hitting that really got the crowd excited, who was with you, etc.

My best audiences so far: A 4 year old girl in my parking garage who was dancing around and laughing as I was doing my op clippers. :)
And a boy probably around 5 or 6, who kept saying "Hacky Sack!" to his dad, as they walked through. Both very cute. :)

On the flipside, any really bad audiences? Moves the audience just didn't "get"?
Stephen Blair
Stoughton, WI
Footblog | Blog | Boring Website

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 08 Sep 2004 09:04

I havn't had many many chances to show off for crowds but on one occasion a group of wakeboarder 'bra's said to paul toews and me 'hit something huge!'. I hit pixie whirl and they kinda liked it, Paul hit pheonix and the crowd exploded. I think ducking really impresses people.

I want to hear other peoples stories too.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

ted
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ted » 08 Sep 2004 09:11

A very little girl asked me if I was from the circus. I said yes.
Theodore Anderson

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 08 Sep 2004 10:18

At a dance this weekend I was hitting some 2's and then I did the pincher dance I saw in Andrew's world video, and a bunch of guys loved it. They made me stay the dance and teach them some stuff. I gave one guy a bag I made and now I'm his hero.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 08 Sep 2004 11:11

Tony, great story. That was Mike Anello in that video, pioneer of the pincher dance, and RFA member extraordinaire.

Gumble (or, dragon refraction) has been a great crowd pleaser for me lately because it makes people go, "whaaaaaaaat?" Confusing moves are the best.

As for general crowd pleasers, not much beats a big, smooth pendulum. And ducks and spins, because you don't have to have sharp freestyle eyes to see what's going on. Also, weird stalls that you can pose on like dragon, flapper, and sole delay are good for the same reason.

ooh, and if you can pull it off with good control, one handed roundoff pendulums like that guy was doing at Worlds 2000 RULE. footbag needs more elements of capoeira, that stuff is rad.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 08 Sep 2004 11:31

Another one that people liked at the dance was handstand neck stall. I first saw Sam C. do that one and the crowds always like it.

Thanks for telling me it was Mike in the vid. I loved that! I always do the dance but I hadn't thought of doing it with a pincher, it's great!

Atom
Multidex Master

bad footbag audiences

Post by Atom » 08 Sep 2004 12:12

i have this alot....people who know "hacky sack"....all they want to do is argue how it's the same thing....i'm a less than average player so i don't do anything impressive(on demand that is), i pulled out a sandman at work one day and tryed to hit some basic stuff in work shoes....somethimes it's better to leave the crowd pleasing to people who just do it well naturally...?
Adam Czarnata
-Parkin cars on footbags since '04

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 08 Sep 2004 14:37

I always find people like datws and torques
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 08 Sep 2004 15:05

Yeah, people flip out (in a good way :wink:) when I do datws! Especially girls!! 8)
Kaushik Amancherla

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 08 Sep 2004 15:32

I can't think of any specific moments where I've really worked a crowd but these are some of my favorite tricks that almost always get a reaction out of people.

I start out with a neck stall and straigten out my back to let it drop to a sole stall without ever looking to see where the bag or where my stalling foot is. I only check after it drops to see if the bag landed on my foot or not.
If I get the sole stall, I hold the position while I jump off my support leg and quickly kick the stalling leg to pop the footbag up and off the foot. Hope that makes sense.

A quick pincher where you straighten out the leg immediately after you catch, usually shooting the bag back in the direction it came from.

Really high flyers. Multiple flyers in a row, trying to get as much air as you can. Or two or three flyers then an eclipse to finish off the combo. Last year at a festival I hit, flying butterfly> gyro dragonfly> tornado kick to send it , needlessly but impressivley, some distance away :wink: . In TKD, a tornado kick is like a jump spinning roundhouse.

Pendullum. Never fails.

Axe kick, kicking the bag upwards with the sole of your foot. Some degree of flexibiltiy required.

Ducking or diving moves
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Sep 2004 15:45

ted wrote:A very little girl asked me if I was from the circus. I said yes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice man, nice.

On topic, as mentioned already: pendulum. In a distant second, Id say datw or ducking anything also get applause. Oh, and sonic tricks too.

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 08 Sep 2004 19:19

For some reason I've had plenty of chances to freestyle in public. Grocery stores, the mall, deparment stores, the bus plaza, the lake resort, pretty much wherever I go, but school is especially my favorite, which starts tomorrow morning :x :evil: . There I am known as hack god/crazy mother fucker, but everytime someone tells me the same ol' "dude, your the best ever!" I always think of vasek, hackrifice, and people here from modifed and say "no, I'm actually not even close"

the times I most blow people away are at parties. I think phoenix is a huge crowd pleaser, especially when the people are baked, or wasted. DATW is also pretty mind blowing to non-footbaggers.

But actually everytime I have to wait at the bus plaza downtown, I get nothing but bad looks and people just slowing moving away from me, like I'm going to kick it in their face as hard as I can, on purpose. Kinda irks me, but hey, whateves, remems, foreves. :D :wink:

And actually on a little sidenote, I was shredding with Mario at the school tennis courts the other day, and some car drove by and yelled "Oh wow, fucking gay ass hacky sackers, and look at my long hair, faggot (referring to mario's hair) I never have been so pissed off in my life! :twisted:
James Randall

lightningbolt
Nothing Vulgar

Post by lightningbolt » 08 Sep 2004 19:36

habitat wrote: But actually everytime I have to wait at the bus plaza downtown, I get nothing but bad looks and people just slowing moving away from me, like I'm going to kick it in their face as hard as I can, on purpose. Kinda irks me, but hey, whateves, remems, foreves. :D :wink: :
This happens to me all the time. Where the love? Actually, I get werid look almost everywhere I play.

I copyed this from my blog, so if it seems you have read this before, you have :wink: :

It was so cool. I was at a party and one girl said something like, "hacky sack for (worded not allowed here. I don't want jermny to censor me :wink: )" or some shit like that. I was like. "Shut up, you don't know what your talking about." Then some jackass, started talking about it and how hacky sack is lame and started rattle on about it. I polite corrected him by saying it's called footbag.
Dude:but it's called hacky sack
Me: No thats just a brand name.
Dude: Whos it made by?
Me wham-o
That shut him down. They I whipped out my bag preceed to do a legover> pixe>legover>indiestall>atw. They were all shocked. then that girl in a small like voiced said, "It's only for (word not allowed here) if they suck". They the converstion turn towards some hot circle kicker . I felt like hot shit after that! Hopefully, I exposed some people to freestyle and they maybe take a interst in it.
I think I going to take over Canada. You should help.
Get Firefox!

ShredPirate
Punkass

Post by ShredPirate » 08 Sep 2004 20:13

i played in las vegas once right on the strip.
after about 30 mins i had like 10 drunk guys bowing down to me while i was playing.
Chris Pinkus

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 08 Sep 2004 20:29

ShredPirate wrote:after about 30 mins i had like 10 drunk guys bowing down to me while i was playing.

hahaha, funniest thing I heard all week. Las Vegas is one of a kind
James Randall

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 10 Sep 2004 00:52

I shred at a crowded flea market all day, every Sunday so we get decent exposure. I'm really not good at all yet but people seem to be really impressed by what we do...

I've found clipper stalls and leg overs (out of my insanely huge arsenal of 2adds) get the most ooo sounds from people, and pick-ups when they happen.

8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

Wim
Fearless

Post by Wim » 10 Sep 2004 02:30

I've noticed that advanced footbag is beyond most people's comprehension. There's this guy I know who can do 30+ sec. guiltless strings lotsa people just pass by like hey whatever. Then there's another guy who gets as much attention but whose repertoire is more or less limited to flying clippers and mirages. :? What's that all about?

On a trip to Italy I was just doing some clippers while waiting for a ferry. Some elderly woman went like 'bravo braaaavo'. What else could I say than grazie? :roll:
Wim Van Verre
Guiltless for Life

Bllllog-Challlengiz-Ogre gallery

Juice
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Juice » 10 Sep 2004 02:52

My friend brought a bag to school and i was just pulling off a few moves and i got an audience of about 15 older kids. They were pretty amazed at what i was doing. Some of the moves that really impressed them were whirl, torque and ducking moves.
Robin Davies
You are your Footbag

420FootBager
Multidex Master

Post by 420FootBager » 14 Sep 2004 14:23

today I started a circle with my newbi friends and these 3 kids that thought they were all bad came over like they were gonna dominate.... alls I did was hit toe-inside-outside clipper stalls in sucsetion and they were all like ooo ahhhh... fuggin funny man... first time I ever pleased a crowd :lol:

all they could do was hit flying clippers and they kept screwing that up too.

By the way we battle hacked later if anybody knows what that is and I totally dominated the pompos basterds :lol:
Gus P.-- Get'um up against the wall

Who let all this riff raff into the room
There's one smoking a joint and
Another with spots
If I had my way I'd have all of you shot

lightningbolt
Nothing Vulgar

Post by lightningbolt » 14 Sep 2004 19:03

420FootBager wrote: By the way we battle hacked later if anybody knows what that is and I totally dominated the pompos basterds :lol:
Go Gus!

I hate battle hacking, people always want to use my bag. Then the assholes throw the bag you let them pratices there stalls with into the bushes during a "warm up" :x !

Yeah, I got burnt bad by battle hack.
I think I going to take over Canada. You should help.
Get Firefox!