Dropouts

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Dropouts

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 04 Mar 2005 12:47

I wonder how many people have dropped out of footbag.....and also to boot, do YOU think that they could've been like, hardcore, beast in a couple years? Then they probably threw it away and that's what's sad. Like David Stefanowicz. I belive that he's dithcing footbag for a while and someone at my school who was Über awesome in footbag with the dexes and all just quit one day.........just feel free to tell sotires about friends you have who could've been tits in footbag.

ericksonj
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ericksonj » 04 Mar 2005 12:57

When I started there was this kid Jason Hall that lived in Eugene. He had such good osis ending moves and cool nuke sets. He could hit paradox torque like nothing, and I remember at the time his record of 9 ripwalks seemed mind boggling. His p blenders and motions were effortless. This guy could have taken his game so much further, but alas life tends to get in the way. One day life will probably get in the way of everyones footbag game, but hopefully when that day comes you are satisfied with what you have put into it as well as what you have received from it.
Always Shreddin
James Erickson
Eugene Footbag Association (Orton, Nasty, Me)
w/ new additions (Casey, Alex, Eddie, and Shawnell)

Omen
Shredalicious

Post by Omen » 06 Mar 2005 00:29

I dropped out of high school.....

I knew a newbie who could barely clipper but when he would get it he could do a slurry stepping set to his chest. He quit for Halo, Soccer, and Homework.

Another guy named Miles Kelly was pretty good and had a really smooth style, he was a lefty, and his Symposium Mirages were SO HIGH. He brought fun and thought to the game. He gave away his shoes though to seek lifes other paths.
Its all or nothing

Damien Schlobohm

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 06 Mar 2005 00:35

It kinda bums me out when I think about all the dudes that used to post on the forums that have since quit.

I guess that's how life goes though.

It is really exciting and great how many of us HAVE stuck with it though!

I fucking love this community!
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

JFootbagger
Fearless

Post by JFootbagger » 06 Mar 2005 08:07

Unfortunately I knew some kids who've droppped out:

My friend Ian started with me a while back, but quit because he had football and wrestling, and he did break his pelvis playing "hacky sack" (back then) with me, so that could be a big reason.

As I later progressed I had this kid Mike who was fascinated by footbag at first but than lost motivation to practice because it was "too hard". I've always looked down at him for that.

Finally Mike Park and Danny Iachini, the two guys that really got me into footbag. Both of them are awesome at it, but I guess their lives have gotten busy. Mike said something about how everything use to come easy to them (tricks and such) and now that they're at a level where they actually ahve to "practice" to get better. Later he explained that I would probably never quite since things haven't come easy for me and I actually had to practice, so I'll keep practicing. I still kick with them ocassionally, but they're not into as much as they use to be.

alas there is hope though...I now have this friend Rob. He LOVES footbag. Practices like everyday. Next year I think I'm going to make him Vice President of my club. This kid is my club's footbag messiah. I gotta do my best to keep in interested and motivated.

for me....I will probably never quit, because I love footbag, it's great excersize, it's fun, AND it's impressive :P .
Jordan Wong
basics=tricks=strings=people dropping their jaw in amazement
-Footblog! Check it out!
Enter My Mind

GeneralTso
Hack Fiend

Post by GeneralTso » 06 Mar 2005 15:59

I know of one guy...he changed the whole game of footbag to me and helped me the most, i never met him personally but talked to him a ton...then he got his new job and works 6/7 days a week and i never get to talk to him any more :(... (Mike Stokely)
Gravity is a suggestion, not a law.

Pat Tallon

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 06 Mar 2005 18:34

Sadly I have dropped out of footbag a number of times now.

The first time was when i discovered "Hacky Sack" and messed around with it a bit. Then one day I just quit.

Later I got back into it just for something to do and ended up learning about freestyle. I was hooked. I couldn't stop playing. It was an obbsession. But eventual I just kinda quit. Again. It was sad.

I got back into it a year ago and was making great progress. Absolutley LOVING it again. And then stuff happened, I stepped back and took a look at my life and decided that footbag just didn't need to be a part of it anymore. Boy was I wrong.

The lesson of this story is that you can always come back, like me. I have no doubt that I'll leave the game again, and again. I just hope I have the senseability to come back.

underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 08 Mar 2005 18:05

im a skyliner...same as mike(stokley) and i havent heard from him in mooooonths if not about a year now. everything changed with footbag for me and a couple people i know after joe(the machine) left us. i all but dropped out as a result. im just now getting it together again.
im sure mike didnt dropout though...last i seen him he was shreddin like a mad-man...i cant see mike just giving up.

*we all miss you joe*
lonnie hobbs
o0((skyliners))0o
*it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you*

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 10 Mar 2005 06:14

there was a gun at footbag called steve who just never came back cos he still owed scott money for lavers
Oliver Adams

Disturbedboy365
Multidex Master

Post by Disturbedboy365 » 14 Mar 2005 20:59

now thats a pretty dumb reason to quit if you don't mind me saying
Austin French
It Is Decidedly So

LameR
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by LameR » 14 Mar 2005 21:57

I didn't read all of the posts in the thread because I'm a jerk. I think the main reason for people dropping out is the time commitment. To progress, it requires a TON of dedication and is physically demanding. It's easy to get into, but we all experience roadblocks. For some people, the roadblocks happen at difficult times in their lives and they may either end up just quitting due to the burden, or rearranging their priorities.

I think the other main reason would be the wear and tear footbag creates on the body, knees especially. That's more of a reason to drop out after a longer period of time/older age though.
-connor campbell
prosers-pros of the posers-
I like my sugar with coffee and cream.

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 15 Mar 2005 12:57

I have had two of my friends drop out. My step brother and i started along time ago. and he quit before he got far. he can only do one side legovers, mirages and occasional butterfly. one of my other friends can hit some more tricks be he doesnt play anymore. its just my little bro and one of our other friends who still shred like fiends.

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 17 Mar 2005 15:06

My friend Shay dropped out of footbag and he had massive potential to be one of the best front end players in the world. I was really just waiting for the day that he got better than me because I knew it wasn't far off. He was also making awesome bags and everything.

Unfortunately, he left the school program he was in and went to school for Photography. Between work and school and a bad winter season a few years back, he just had to let something go. The guilt over not playing was too much for him and he just came to the decision that the other things in his life needed to take priority. The day he told me his decision was one of the saddest days of my life :cry: .

Oh... and Noah Dubreille (sp?) made BAP and stopped playing back in 96 or 97 and he was so ridiculously fucking awesome. I learned BS Toe Blur from watching him over and over on video. That was a great loss to freestyle.
Old Skool

LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 21 Mar 2005 18:19

Example 2:

remember Brandon 133333333333333333333 somehting?

he just imd me a while ago and he was all like, man, with footbag, you don't get no respect now I skate................psh.

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 21 Mar 2005 20:58

Eric Reile ...

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 21 Mar 2005 21:06

Whatever happened to Dave Sanchez from Philly footworks?

I also remember being sad when Ethan Klein had to give up footbag because it wrecked his knees. Here`s some vids of him for you kids:
http://www.dallas.footbag.org/multimedi ... Klein.html

Oh yeah, anybody know what happened to Sean Wingert?

itsanother
Shredaholic

Post by itsanother » 21 Mar 2005 22:07

i know this guy name ted...

he started sewing first and my other friend,jon would test the bags out for him..and after a while he started playing with his bags..then one day someone at the nearby beach bought his bag and with the money he was planning to go get lunch but some random guy at the beach goes "here ill seel u one of my own bags for 10 bucks" and the bag turns out to be an carol (idiot guy)...lol after that..he was pretty happy, he played hard and then he quit after being able to do just about any 1,2,3,4 add trick! like three years gone... oh well i think ill give him a call and have him sew bags again and sell
TIM SHAN

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 22 Mar 2005 12:36

C-Fan wrote:Oh yeah, anybody know what happened to Sean Wingert?
I believe he's working/studying somewhere in Europe.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Whatsfootbag?
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Whatsfootbag? » 04 Apr 2005 16:03

im backk! ive quit 2 but both were for swimming season,now swimming is over and i have 7 months ahead of me till it starts!hopefully ill get good enought okeep going through swim season

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 05 Apr 2005 01:05

C-Fan wrote:
Oh yeah, anybody know what happened to Sean Wingert?

I believe he's working/studying somewhere in Europe.
I believe he still kicks in Brussels (Belgium).
I'll track him down when I get there and point him to this forum.
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC