Modified or Unmodified Shred Shoes

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
jspan1013
Shredalicious

Modified or Unmodified Shred Shoes

Post by jspan1013 » 08 Jan 2011 17:08

Well, I just thought I'd make a thread so I can find out what the majority of modified likes.

Alright so this is how I'd like it to go, post your favorite footbag shoe that you can play with un-modified and why it is you use that shoe instead of say Lavers, or G-Units.

Or you could post what modified shoe you play with and why you use that shoe instead of shoes that require no modding like the Quantum 2's, 3's, or Nucleus.
Joe Spano

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 08 Jan 2011 17:52

I currenlty use unmodified Quantums.

But, I'm not sure I like them any better than the heavily modified Laver's I used to use. I'd love to get my hands on some G-Units that I could mod the crap out of.

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 09 Jan 2011 00:07

chopped up lavers

cus all others clippers suck, cus lavers are original an will still be around in 10 years... quantum, an nucleus wont be. why change to just be forced to change again.

edit:
G units would be my #2 but there pricey

jspan1013
Shredalicious

Post by jspan1013 » 10 Jan 2011 06:01

Any additional discussion about about why you use one shoe over another is welcomed.

I know there's a helluva lot more people who aren't answering, feel free to discuss.
Joe Spano

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 10 Jan 2011 18:42

heavily modded lavers

haven't played with (decent) quantums or q-units, but I would definitely go for a pair of g-units if I could find them (if my lavers ever die).
I've had the same shoes for about a year and they're torn up, but nothing else can mold to my feet the way they do. Got some gel insoles, chopped away the last 2 lace holes (regretable decision, but oh well), heavily used toe and inside w/ a bunch of holes, broca mod, and I use like 30 cm laces, so they're juuussst long enough to tie together. I love those laces because it's just a tiny knot and doesn't interfere with anything and I have nothing to tuck away.

I loves my lavers
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 12 Jan 2011 07:23

I use lavers with the toe box opened and the canvas cut out of the inside and toe.

I like them because I play the best in lavers, though I haven't tried all the other shoes extensively enough to know for sure. I bought quantums but their size 13s aren't true to size (too small).

I assume you started this thread to decide what shoes you personally want to buy. I would get lavers. They are inexpensive. All the best players have used them at one point or another --even if they have now switched to a different shoe. Whether lavers end up being the best for you, they are good enough for everyone to become tiltless or guiltless wearing them.

Plus, if you are playing often,no footbag shoe lasts all that long, and you'll have to buy another pair in 4-6 months anyway.

All my opinion of course, but I think lavers are the best shoe to start in.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 12 Jan 2011 11:43

twill lavers, toe box opened, first eyelets removed, outside surfaces removed.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 12 Jan 2011 13:03

I have mesh lavers with removed and re-added toe walls, a complete microsuede inside, outside canvas removed. brokca mod reinforced and an extra eyelet at the top of the shoelaces so i can tie them up extra tight.

My G-units are my favorites. Fully modded inside with microsuede and shoe goo to get rid of the inside g-unit ridge, opened toe box with leather removed.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Runkstafari
Shredalicious

Post by Runkstafari » 01 Feb 2011 08:00

I started out kicking with Lavers, with just the toebox mod and the lacing mod, not the cutting out the inside and outsides (though currently am considering doing this). I do love my lavers! they are the most solid shoe to just wear for whatever your doing, say going to the supermarket in summer and you have a pair of shorts on. well, the checkout line your waiting for your food and what not bust out a clipper>clipper>infinity>infinity. just to get that 3 second practice run in! or at the gas station, your having a picnic, ANYWHERE YOU CAN PLAY WITH LAVERS!

BUT...... I have been repping a pair of Q2s since 2008 and I must say for when im going to ACTUALLY have a shred session. You cannot beat the Q2s! they are light and durable if I've had them for around 3 years! I love the feel of their material and just overall shredability is amazing in my opinion (I do use a lacing mod on them, they arnt regularly laced). Like Zach said though, where am I going to be able to find a pair of Q2s size 11 and a half..... nowhere, so the said part is once theyre done, theyre done.

my opinions!

Jiffy
Shredalicious

Post by Jiffy » 01 Feb 2011 08:39

modded lavers ftw. i wasnt really sold with my lavers at first but when i cut out the canvas on the insides... THEY WERE SWEET!
Ryan

xsisbest
Shredaholic

Post by xsisbest » 02 Feb 2011 17:04

lavers.. toe box mod and inside canvas removed. I tried cutting out the first eyelets on my last pair of lavers but i really lost the feel of them after that. I probably won't cut it out again as I'm comfortable with just the toebox mod. I started out using sandals and feared changing into regular shoes. I eventually got used to it. I then bought some Nucleus. I wasn't feeling them to much from the get go either but after another few weeks I started really liking them. But when I got to USO's everyone told me to go back to Lavers due to the horrible clipper style you produce and I haven't looked back. I'm convinced you'll get used to barefoot if that is how you play. It really doesn't matter what you use it's all in what you get used to and like. I encourage you to try different mods but start with just the basics and move on if your not feeling it. I wouldn't just cut up a new pair and do every mod available. Give yourself time to feel it out. I do have to say though removing the inside mesh makes a huge difference. Especially with the black lavers. The bag would just slide off the mesh cuz it was so slick but with it removed the surface is nice and grippy. Makes a huge difference to me.. Good luck with whatever you do!

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 02 Feb 2011 19:54

Lavers....mesh cut out on toe and outside. Inside mesh and canvas cut out and t shirt material sewn in....about a half size too big so I can use two insoles.
SHRED HARD!

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 02 Feb 2011 23:28

Jazzkid wrote:Lavers....mesh cut out on toe and outside. Inside mesh and canvas cut out and t shirt material sewn in....about a half size too big so I can use two insoles.
you rock 2 insoles?!