Super cheap video camera suggestions?

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Muffinman
the gimp

Super cheap video camera suggestions?

Post by Muffinman » 03 Mar 2012 18:33

Hey guys.
Does anybody have any suggestions for really cheap digital camcorders? I don't really have any requirements, other than low price. I'd like to avoid miniDV if possible, since I've lost two camcorders over over-use of the tape mechanism.

I'm looking at the Kodak Playsport ZX5, which shoots in 720p @ 60fps, which I can get for, like, $150CAN INCLUDING an 8-gig SDHC card. It seems like a super deal, but I'm wondering if anyone has either used it before and can say anything about it (I've read some reviews, but it's still difficult to gauge objectively), or if anyone can recommend something around the same price or cheaper that works well.

Any ideas?

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 04 Mar 2012 11:00

I looked at some reviews of the Playsport and if I recall the quality indoors was really poor. Great quality outside in the sun though. If I remember I'll test it out tomorrow at work.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 04 Mar 2012 13:56

Thanks Tony.
You have one?
I remember in the review it specifically said that it worked well in low-light conditions, although it's difficult to find a footbag-like example of fast movement. This was the indoor example I could find with the most movement (and it doesn't specify whether it's 30 or 60 fps).

jaust
Multidex Master

Post by jaust » 05 Mar 2012 23:48

you should maybe save some more money and get a gopro hd, i found one for like 200 canadian $

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 06 Mar 2012 10:53

Thanks Jaust!
That looks awesome.
I just read a review (and a half-ish) and have a couple questions:

1) Apparently the low-light quality is sub-par. I'd be filming mostly indoors. What is your impression of the indoor/low-light situation?

2) The one review said that the battery lasts 2.5 hours, or 9 hours with a 32gig SD card. That was a bit confusing. Is it saying that the built-in memory can handle 2.5 hours of footage? At what resolution? I'd probably use the 720p at 60fps. Will I need an SD card, or can I get away without one (since that will jack the price even more)? 2.5 hours is probably fine for me.

The wide angle lens also sounds amazing. I was a bit concerned about the distance I'd have to place that other camera at which I was looking.

worldbound
BSOS Beast

Post by worldbound » 06 Mar 2012 11:57

GoPro HD owner here:

I love my camera, but there are some things you should know about the pros and cons:

Pros: Waterproof casing, virtually indestructible, wide angle lens, small, light weight, great capture quality (for the price), and is easy to use.

Cons: They are TERRIBLE in low light. Battery lasts 2.5 hours no matter what type of card you use. They don't come with a screen, but you can purchase an attaching LCD screen for ~$80. There is no internal memory, and it does not come with an SD card. The microphone is crap. Wide angle lens requires you to be at least 5 feet away from the camera at all times (if you want a decent shot). No zoom.

All in all I really love my little camera. I wish I had the GoPro HD2. Maybe during the Fall I will get one.
Mike Green
footblog
kicking since Mar 27, 2011

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 07 Mar 2012 09:10

Alright, I shot a short test video with a Playsport camera:

http://youtu.be/6pthotVvo7c

The lighting in my room is decent. Above the average home lighting as I work on computers in here. Please don't judge my air shredding. :oops:

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 07 Mar 2012 09:18

Ha.
Thanks so much for filming that, Tony.
It seems pretty blurry. Maybe a cheap camcorder isn't worth it for me right now.

jimmyjames
Shredalicious

Post by jimmyjames » 20 Jun 2012 21:37

Sorry for necro-ing this thread, but just in case you're still interested in this, I just purchased a Kodazk Playsport ZX5 from amazon for $82USD.

It will be delivered tomorrow so this weekend I'll put up some demo footage outdoors and indoors with the 720p/60fps setting.
james gilbert

jimmyjames
Shredalicious

Post by jimmyjames » 23 Jun 2012 19:52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZqfflYFqhU

Kodak Playsport ZX5

A few tricks at 1/2 speed filmed with 720p@60fps and some shoddy runs as I am mighty rusty just getting back into footbag.

Another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THka4zEn_mI
Last edited by jimmyjames on 04 Jul 2012 21:03, edited 2 times in total.
james gilbert

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Jun 2012 20:48

Wicked.
I don't think I've ever seen you hack before. Seriously great, never mind the rust! Also thanks for testing the camera. I did end up getting a GoPro HD Hero 2 shortly after Mike's post, as I'd seen his videos, did a bunch of research, and had come into some extra, unexpected money, which was awesome. This looks like a super alternative for the price, though! Too bad about indoors. And the one thing about the GoPro is that, while it doesn't come with a screen (your camera doesn't also, right?) and that makes it really difficult to aim, especially self-shot, the GoPro does have the add-on LCD screen, which I've since picked up and is really great.

It was cool to hear the underwater noise, though. With the GoPro's waterproof housing, sound is pretty crap. I'm not sure how it would record in a similar situation (I've yet to use mine under water).

Thanks again.
This will be a great resource for others looking for a decent, cheap camera.

jimmyjames
Shredalicious

Post by jimmyjames » 27 Jun 2012 16:17

Thanks for the kind words, Erik.

The Kodak ZX5 does indeed have an LCD screen; it's not the best, but decent. I haven't tried it indoors yet, but I imagine the 60fps mode would need lots of light. I took it surfing this past weekend and recorded a few shots.

I'm happy with it so far as it's my first video camera and a relatively cheap venture into that realm given what features the camera has.
james gilbert