Jay's Blog.

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 14 Nov 2006 08:42

Nice stuff Jay.

Just a thought on double legovers . . . If I'm not mistaken, they're done in one downtime motion, as opposed to stepping legover. Therefore there shouldn't be any stepping set really. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Lackey82
Fearless

Post by Lackey82 » 14 Nov 2006 19:57

Jay,

Try Toe Drifters. Myself, I find them much easier than Clip set. Same with DLOs. Yeah, DLO is different from Stepping Legover (both wicked though). Check this out:

AnzTrikz - DLOs + Eggbeaters

It should help you get the idea.

Props man, looking forward to more progress from you!
Joshua Lackey
"Class is what I do during my Footbag breaks"
Challenge me! Toronto/FAT Footblog

Daniel
Multidex Master

Post by Daniel » 15 Nov 2006 10:26

hi,

haven't reached the others yet, but i'll keep on trying. Don't think you're forgotten.

bye
daniel
Current Avatar: Me @ French Open, November 2006

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 23 Nov 2006 07:36

Well, haven't footbagged in a full week, really, really sucks. However, last night I did make a bag.

New material, no idea what it is..My mother just sent it to me, because she rocks...

I just changed all my courses here, and well, they're now hard...
Jay Boychuk

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 21 Dec 2006 05:03

Today, was my last day of school, for the next two weeks...I devoted it to showing everyone possible shredding. So, missing the first 2 periods, I was outside in T-shirt, shorts, and lavers. I started when it was still dark. I'd guess about 2 - 4 degrees, and cloudy. Slight breeze.

Anyway, with one girl I actually made friends with, and some of her friends and some other people I know walked up, and I tought (tried..) to teach them basic kicks, and one girl actually got a pendulum. It was a little weak, but the concept was there. I played with them, in a little circle, for the first 2 periods. Some onlookers came by, and eyed my near bare body up and down and merely asked "Aren't you cold" and no comments to the shred. Anyway, I'd do a mirage or something, and then kick it to someone else. But when I was getting cold, I'd bust something out, and this is where the magic took place. The one girl actually looked slightly determined, perhaps I'll have a person to teach...

10 minutes before the period ended, until ten minutes after which was a recess for everyone in the school, I got a line of about 15 little kids, and some onlookers watching. I was playing alone at that point, where my former players were part of the crowd. Then a large group of people in my grade started coming a bit closer, seeing over the little kids heads. 2 Teachers actually stopped for about 30-45 seconds, which is a long time considering, and then more people just randomly came up. I was wondering as to why all these people were coming up, and then I realized...

I barely dropped the damn bag! Completely in the "zone". I was actually hitting very respectable tricks, with not totally relying on ATW's and other toe to toe dex's. I nailed a torque a few times, which made me VERY happy, even happier that I played out of it! I was hitting ripwalks right left and center, osis' were all smooth, head dex's just flowed, and at one point, 10 infinities in a row. That made me feel great. Whirls were 50% on cue, which was good enough, and a swirl was hit once or twice. I hit one Blur, mid string, and many dive->mirage, or dive->butterfly, and the same with ducks. I came very close to double downs, always dropping or footing it. Some of my strings had in the neighborhood of 20 contacts. Even though I dimmed things down for string length, fitting in a simple legover or something in, to recover, I was just seemingly going on for forever. It felt so nice to hit a few of those ducking osis' as well. I've never played like that in my life, ever. The energy I was getting from the crowd (maybe 35 people) yelling random German things like "Do that Again!" and "Do you play soccer!" and "Oh my god".. Everybody after was asking where I played, how long I'd been playing etc etc. I was playing against a wall, where there was about 7 feet by 20 feet of space, and then outside that strip of level ground it escalated on maybe a 20 degree angle, so it kinda even looked like a small stage of people.

After that, I just went to my third period class, and put a towel on the chair and relaxed...And the fourth period I asked the teacher if I could go play again, request was granted. People were just talking to eachother, and occasionally the teacher would ask the kids a question or two...I was just to hyper to sit there any longer.

Damn was that a nice last day. Hopefully I'll have a good shred video before Christmas.

Edit from a little later..
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1571032437

I wanted to refine that, and make more of a stronger jump, however, as you can see it was a little to dark.
I think it's almost a Torque?
Jay Boychuk

sNale
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by sNale » 27 Dec 2006 07:16

Hi Jay,

any plans to travel around in Germany? Munich possibly? :)
Max Jaeger
munich-footbag.de

Du bist Footbag!

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 27 Dec 2006 07:23

Ich habe schon zu München gereist, aber, wann ich fertig sein ich wird über Europa reisen. Es ist wahrscheinlich dass ich kann wieder zu München gehen.

Ich kann nicht warten!

(and for those adoring English fans, it stated I've been to Munich already but I plan on going again)
Jay Boychuk

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 30 Dec 2006 01:01

Well, going to Frankfurt to play with Daniel and whoever else today, so, hopefully I don't get lost obducted or raped along the way ;)

I should be able to write a nice review tonight!

First off, I'd like to get this out there. Holy Shit.

I've been solo shredding for so long now, I've started to get cocky with myself. I just figured that I was doing everything perfectly fine, because in fact, I could hit the trick, so wasn't I doing it right?

Wrong.

A very humbling experience indeed. I arrived in Frankfurt around 1:00, and then walked around the streets just so I'd be familiar, and then went back and met up with Daniel and , er, sorry, the other guy :oops:. My host mother was reluctant to let me go in the first place, and she said that "You must take public transport". Well, Daniel had his car. So after twisting and turning we eventually drove to a little spot in a building, and set up. Here is where the humbling begins.. Basically, every trick I did could be massively improved upon. My infinities were a big big thing, and by the end they no longer looked like jittery ripwalks, more like leaps of faith. Both of the guys helped me with my atomic, which, while still bad, is alot better than before. Instead of a legover motion, and then crumble to butterfly or something, it is more proper.

Another thing I learned pretty quickly, is that when solo shredding I never did real strings. After about every trick, my first instinct is to hand catch. That never quite fixed itself.

Just from observing within itself, I am going to have alot of things to practise for the next few weeks/months. However, this first session I imagine was very boring and uneventful for Daniel and ___ (how the hell did I forget his name...) it was a very good experience for me, 3 hours of bus/train riding or not. Thanks alot for putting up with my crap Daniel :oops:
Jay Boychuk

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 10 Jan 2007 12:21

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6470478447

I've hit taps, atom smashers, atomic legovers, atomic butterflies, atomic osis' and I even got a atomic -> duck -> butterfly. Damn did that feel good.

Why do I always rush the basics...grr...

:P
Jay Boychuk

Lackey82
Fearless

Post by Lackey82 » 11 Jan 2007 20:19

Man, those atomic sets are looking very nice and crisp!

I'd like to see Atomsmasher back to back from you.

When do you come back to Toronto???
Joshua Lackey

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 13 Jan 2007 02:11

Not entirely sure on the exact date, but June 23rd is my last official day in the program, then I might tour Europe for a few weeks, but I have no idea how long that would be. I plan (I hope) I can convince my grandparents to stop in all the nice places to bag, Berlin, Munich, Vienna, and wherever the best place in Switzerland is. Then again, I might as well just tell them to take me to Poland so I can drink their water and magically become a beastly or even godly shredder...

The red and white bag is my newest, 54 grams... To bad my filler is a heaping pile of shit, because this bag actually turned out not bad stitching wise. The atomic one is a bag my friend generously gave me, because he's awesome.

Edit*
Ok, well, I'm writing this the day after, when my legs feel like sandbags..
Yesterday I probably played for around 5 hours, split into 3 parts...2 hours of normal freestyle and drilling, and one constant hour, of finally getting a blur on my flipside. I could always (well, for a few months) hit it inconsistently on my strong side, so I told myself that I must learn it today (yesterday).. Well, After an hour, of brutally failing at hitting the trick probably hundreds of times, I finally got it..Then I hit around 10 more in the same 5 minutes. So I tried my strong side, and damn does it suck in comparison. Ok, so what did I do after for the next hour? I was looking at how how I could stepping set the bag, and I figured "I could duck/dive it"..well, the thought that immediately popped into my head was in that Heroes video when vasek did 3 or 4 ripped warriors in a row, and then one of moirs sessions where he did the same. So, I tried for the next hour, until it was time for dinner, when of course we were done my body lost it's adrenaline and excitement and I realized how much I ached, and that if I kept going I'd feel worse than I do now today. Well, I hit it, that felt fucking delicious, so then I tried to video it and I just couldn't get it...Here are some of my closest attempts on film...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8865&hl=en

It kinda makes you feel a little "warrior" like after you realize that the only reason you are doing something that strenuous, and that dedicated is because you are bettering yourself, for no other reason than self improvement...
Jay Boychuk

Lackey82
Fearless

Post by Lackey82 » 14 Jan 2007 15:34

SO CLOSE!

Dude, I can't believe you haven't hit it yet. You probably have by the time I write this, heh.

Such a good move. Haven't hit it.
Joshua Lackey

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 17 Jan 2007 21:59

Well, yesterday was my first session after resting *my legs were dead* from the ripped warrior session...

I was at school, in one of the portables, where the people in my grade hang out. Some of them were asking about footbag, so I explained that these two bags were from poland, vasek is from Prag, etc, I told them "The best I can do is maybe a 5 add trick, alone" they went on to ask if I had won any competitions. After laughing for a few seconds, I said I was far to inexperienced and to weak of a player to win competitions, they looked and stared...So, I showed them Jordens christmas thing, with I think an 8 add or three, and they were amazed. Then they asked me to go for a 5 add, immediately I debated if I should try the ripped warrior. Well, first time was a fail, second time I nailed it with fine style....Third time, I hit it again, just as easily....

They liked it.

So, now, just to add to my little chart of 5 adds...

Pixie Ducking Osis
Atomic ducking butterfly
Ripped Warrior
Pheonix
_______
And something else, I was dangerously close to hitting yesterday. Just about the same success as my last ripped warrior post, just the last clipper, which I foot..

Both sides, stepping far side whirl. My strong side naturally got it closer and more consistent to a sealed trick, but my left certainly wasn't far behind.

How many adds is that? My gut is telling me 4, but then I think of PS whirl, and I think that maybe since it is stepping, and "paradox" so to speak it may be five adds..

My goal for when I leave germany is to have all the basic double dexes down, both direction DATW's, double downs, and barrages...Once I have those, which now that I've gotten my little "I need to do big 5 add tricks" urges out of myself, I guess I'll get back to drilling the basics, over and over again...

DAMN I can't wait for some FAT shred.
Jay Boychuk

Lackey82
Fearless

Post by Lackey82 » 18 Jan 2007 03:42

And we can't wait to have you.

Good news: Blurry Whirl is a 5, congrats!
Joshua Lackey

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 22 Jan 2007 12:15

jay7 wrote:
My goal for when I leave germany is to have all the basic double dexes down, both direction DATW's, double downs, and barrages..
Wow, I can't begin to imagine how I thought that those goals would take me until the end of Germany...For the last 3 days I've been pretty conciously going for DATW's, in-out and out-in, both sides naturally, and tonight I hit in and around 5 each direction each foot. I also tried a double down or two (without shoes....) and the dexes were quite clean as well as it hit my imaginary clipper instep..How in the world people clipper bare foot I don't know.

I've hit ripped warrior a bunch of times. Now I told myself I can't hit another until its my flipside....
Jay Boychuk

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 24 Jan 2007 21:27

Well, I brought my stitching stuff to school one day, and started the bag that would be for my friend back in Canada, and quite a few people were around. Interestingly enough, they all thought it was really cool, and well, they asked if I sold bags.

I said no, because well, the quality still sucks, but they insisted that I should start selling them.

I got one order last week, I figured "Ok, this isn't gonna take off, I'll just sell it for 5 euros...'' well, then the next day I got another order. Ok, he was the guys friend, so it'll probably still not take off..Another 5 euros...Well, then another bastard asked for one, ok, raising the price, 10 euros. That sells. Then another guy asks me, I say 10 euros. Then he gets his panties in a bunch because I sold the first ones for 5. I tried to explain that I need 3 hours a bag, and I'm not gonna happily stitch for someone at 1.66 euros an hour. Then he just whined and whined, actually like a little faggot ,putting his hands on his hips, tossing his head back and everything... And then walked away. So, I don't know if anyone is gonna want any more bags, but it'd certainly be cool if I got around an order a week, so I could get alot better and more consistent.

Heres a lame attempt at photography

Breakfast, woot!
Jay Boychuk

Lackey82
Fearless

Post by Lackey82 » 25 Jan 2007 19:03

Jay,

Hang in there. But don't give in and sell bags for less than the time it takes you is worth.

Anyway, just mentioned that you inspired me to try at Ripped Warrior, and I hit it! I was so happy, too, cause it was flip stepping. Sweet!

Anyway, keep pushing the limits. See you later!
Joshua Lackey

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 26 Jan 2007 04:27

Well, go here.. http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=15475

Also, tonight I am going to Wiesbaden to play with a bunch of people, so I should have a story or two out of that.

Oh, and moshers bag is 49 grams.

Well, the day is nearly done and I'm feeling absolutely awesome. Earlier in the day, I had a worse than average start because the post office said my little package from Planetfootbag was gonna cost 31 euros just to pick the damn thing up. Well, obviously I didn't have the money with me, so I had to get back home and get all my stuff together to play in Wiesbaden.

I get on the bus, lavers and all, and eventually get to Wiesbaden. Figuring I'd have to wait 20 minutes or so, because I got their on the only bus before the designated meeting time, of 4:00, 3 of the guys were there and immediately shouted my name. They recognized me by the lavers.

Once we get to the spot, and wait, some guy on a bike comes up and says something in German that I couldn't quite hear, I figured he was gonna ask for a cigarette or something...Little did I know he was the coolest damn footbagger on the planet, old school to the max. Rocking pendulous sets, sole kicks and heel setted double legovers and many more that I couldn't put together in my mind, he was undoubtedly amazing. I didn't see one clipper from him though, his shoes didn't exactly have the instep for it. 7 years experience apparently.

Then you have Matthias, "zulu" the post under me, who looks strangely exactly like one of my cousins. Something from that gave me a bit more confidence that I wasn't gonna get raped and hung to dry, damn media making me worried about going out. Either way, he was cool, and had the neatest Fairy set of all time. Usually fairy sets I see on modified look exactly like pixies but in reverse, he basically just flopped his ankle and it flew up. I can't explain it, but I tried it a few times and failed miserably.

Clemens of course, was a beast, it compares much to watching someone like Clavens or Jorden shredding, it just crushes all concievable dreams that you once had. Amazing how fast he goes through shoes though, when I went to frankfurt his Quantums were basically brand new, but the outside mesh was already starting to fray and the sole had noticable wear. When he hits symposium stuff it is quite impressive, he doesn't quite dex like most people and lands with a bang. THe wooden/carpeted floor probably maximized that.

Julian, the guy who drinks his water out of milk cartons (Which I thought was pretty damn cool) was also a good player. His blenders, and whatever the move that is a double down, but ending in blender is, were solid. Sometimes he'd catch them mid-flight *yes I say flight, it's nearly symposium or something* 2 or three feet from his body. I'm not sure how often he plays, because he had to borrow shoes, but he has played for 2 years.

As for myself, I guess I didn't do much more than the last time I played in Frankfurt. I was still to shy. However, I said to myself that I couldn't just drill this time, and that when I got the back I'd attempt to string something, it sorta worked. Eventually I just got in a damn routine of "Ok, Clemens/Matthias just did this, I'm gonna try the set of it, or I'm gonna try the downtime component of it". I would've liked to try Andy's stuff, but it was just to crazy. I mean, he nearly hit a double outside swirling move, I have no where near that coordination.
I hit some things here or there, like another atomic ducking butterfly, it's a shame everyone was changing their clothes when I did it. I let out a small war cry, hoping that I'd get someones attention and do it again, but I failed and couldn't get it again. Most of my strings were just butterflys, I don't know why but the bag we used just feels so sweet butterflying that I couldn't stop. Depending on how the mosher turns out, that might be my next stitcher of choice. In frankfurt I also loved that bag.

Matthias said something on the train back to Mainz that sorta startled me, he asked if I liked it, because I seemed so, well, "meh" and not very into it. I guess I came accross as unimpressed, but on the contrary, I was the opposite. I guess all of the solo-shredding really hurt my social aspect of giving props and enjoying footbag for social reasons. I don't like that.

Well, I'm looking forward to going to Mainz for the next 3 or so weeks on tuesdays to play, but I *think* I understood Matthias when he said after three weeks he'd have to stop until March/May ish. Sometimes my German is right on cue, and other times they might as well be speaking Chinese. Sentence to sentence.

I should stop writing.
Last edited by jay7 on 27 Jan 2007 00:07, edited 3 times in total.
Jay Boychuk

zulu
Hack Fiend

Post by zulu » 26 Jan 2007 05:51

hi jay, you dont know me, but we're are getting to know each other in a couple of hours. kickin it with clemens, andy, julian and me. you're staying in mainz? thats great. there is a training session every tuesday evening at 18o'clock in one of the gyms on the campus. Would be nice to see you there too...
looking forward to see what level your game is at. see you later. :P

edit: i just thought you seemed like didn't feel comfortable shredding with us. Tuesday we'll have more fun. Your game looks good. I wasn't that good after 1/2 years of footbag.
see you... 8)
matthias thier

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 28 Jan 2007 07:17

Ok, well, me and a friend in Canada (liam027)have decided that we are gonna tape ourselves, and show eachother what we're up to every few weeks, or just as often as we feel necessary. I guess I'll throw mine up in this blog too.

video is uploading, without success...? I'll keep on trying...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0531&hl=en

Failed attempts, I'm hoping by next week I can get them all nice and ready to put on the front page. I hit drifter both sides tonight, still no damn double downs.
Last edited by jay7 on 28 Jan 2007 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Boychuk