Ivan I's Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
isirc10
Fearless

Re: Ivan I's Footblog (PSU)

Post by isirc10 » 28 Feb 2014 02:15

No worries Nick, you helped more than you can imagine last night. There is a thank you at the end of this very long post that is directed to you and everyone else who has helped me out in any way this past week.

I have been reading a lot of footblogs lately to get my spirits up and they are all so happy and uplifting. Even during injury or other setbacks, you guys still manage to have a positive outlook on things. I almost feel guilty posting here, like I am breaking some sort of unwritten rule that footblogs should be nice to read. Hopefully I can snap out of this sooner rather than later and get back to the happier things in life.

[EDIT: here, have a kitty. I didn't have anything else to put up for a picture so I figure this one would suffice. Took it two weeks ago at the barn]

Wednesday was an interesting day. I was feeling pretty good in the morning, having talked to Nastia for a good hour and a half. She was feeling significantly better and told me she didn’t want to move out of the apartment because it had too many memories she didn’t want to let go of. I was relieved (can’t explain why). We spent most of the time talking about our memories with Ilya and how he made our lives better. It all sounds so cliché, but hell with it, it’s what we did and it made us feel better. After going to class, I met up with George at 3:30. I was running late for that but managed to cut two minutes from my bike ride and got to Panera at exactly 3:30. He was already there (to be expected, I just didn’t want to have a friend waiting for me). I got another smoothie, as I find I can drink them even when I am so sad I feel nauseous, and also brought a banana from home. He got something that looked really good, and insisted on paying for my smoothie. Too kind. We talked about things until about 6:00, ranging from my story, to religion and even the harmful effects of cell phones on our soft tissues. I will always have the utmost respect for him because he has morals that he will stick to regardless the situation, and will always be able to explain his stance on something in such a compassionate way that you will wish you just had him walking behind you all day guiding you through decisions. Of course, that would be incredibly selfish, but if you ever need someone to talk to he can’t be beat.

One of the things we discussed was the times Ilya talked to me about drinking. Since he lost his father to alcoholism, he never drank and always urged me to abstain from it as well. His argument was that alcohol never made any situations better and often ended up destroying opportunities, hopes, and ultimately lives. Three days before he passed, I talked to him about what he wanted to do for our birthday. He didn’t have any plans besides the customary skype call. I mentioned that I might go to the bars with my friends because they wanted to, and he didn’t say much about it, but I could tell it didn’t sit right with him at the time.

With his passing, I have been thinking a lot about why I drink and what it does for me. I only really do it whenever I am at a party, and most of them are with footbaggers. I do it because my friends are doing it and it is a social thing. Does it make me happy? I enjoy some beers, but most of those are the ones I help my dad brew at home and just drink them for the taste. Almost all of the stuff I consume at college parties tastes like diluted cat piss or liquid fire. I have a naturally high tolerance for alcohol, meaning I need to drink a lot to actually feel any sort of “buzz” and at that point it’s probably horribly expensive or very toxic. It also means I have a higher risk of becoming dependent on it, and I have had members in my family struggle with alcoholism in the past.

I talked to George about it because he didn’t drink at all in college. His advice was to draw a line and make it a very well defined one. I thought about that and had an idea that I didn’t really want to drink anymore. I just didn’t know if I was going to be able to draw that line when the rest of my friends, all great people, were enjoying themselves and offering me drinks.

At the conclusion of our conversation, I thanked him for spending his time with me (he hadn’t had enough sleep the previous night and was leaving for UNC for a grad school orientation program the next few days). I went to train club with high spirits, feeling comfortable with my understanding of my loss and what I was going to do to move forward. I worked on a small front office building that I was building in an attempt to make our quarry scene look like it actually supported an industry. I added micro LED lights, an interior, front steps and other details to the structure. I used this as a way to keep busy during the week, and dubbed it “the house of sorrows” in a bit of twisted humor. I left the club around midnight and biked home with Ryan. This time I biked fast enough to miss Nastia’s call.

I got home and called her back. Apparently one of the nearby shops got the accident on security camera and the police were able to grab the plates of the truck. From the video, it was evident that Ilya was killed by a drunk driver. He was there in one frame and gone with a blur in the next one. 1/30th of a second and all video evidence of his existence disappeared. The actual impact was much faster and he couldn’t have felt anything. He didn’t even have time to see the truck approach. I suppose it was something to take comfort in. I never want to see that footage. When Nastia told me all of this, it sounded like a massive weight had been lifted from her. I immediately realized that she had been thinking of their argument that morning and had rationalized everything around his death being a suicide, regardless of my efforts to convince her otherwise. Now there was no doubt and she could concentrate on putting her life back together instead of playing through whatever scenarios she made up in her head to explain his disappearance that night.

I have had more than 24 hours to think about it, and I still can’t explain why I reacted the way I did to hearing the news. Up to that point, I had accepted his death as a freak accident, and started building up from that. The fact that my best friend was taken away from me by a stupid act of human negligence just infuriated me beyond anything I had ever experienced. The anger was completely undirected. I suppose I was angry at life. I didn’t give a shit about the driver – he had no idea he hit anyone, hell, he probably felt terrible when he found out in the morning when the police knocked on his door. It wasn’t Ilya’s fault, it wasn’t Nastia’s fault. There was nowhere to direct the anger so it kinda just sat inside me for the next few hours. I immediately went to facebook and talked to Nick and Nate, as well as Kat, although I started to withdraw from talking to her as I felt like I was placing too much of the burden on one friend. Although I was unable to get myself out of my infuriated state, the conversations confirmed that I just needed to give some time to get things back together.

I didn’t want to talk to Nastia because she actually seemed to be doing better than me at that point and I didn’t want to upset her after everything she had gone through during the past few days. I know I didn’t write this in my first post, but I wasn’t comfortable enough with it myself at that point – she had tried to kill herself 3 times in the first 24 hours and my friends stopped her every time. 3 times. I don’t know how bad it must have been to warrant that many attempts at your life, and I hope to never ever find out.

Later in the night, the pent up anger turned into disbelief as I refused to accept that everything happened with no reason. I felt like the whole thing was just life being unfair and taking out a defenseless soul. I wondered if it would have been easier if it was me who got hit. I had a family, lots of caring friends, and a relatively easy childhood. He had her and me for family, the memories we made in our time together, and his aspirations for the bright future he was going to make himself. As I mentioned, he would always tell me how drinking never ended well. He was always right. He was so right that even in death, he was absolutely correct. I fucking hated that. Not in the way that someone hates the kid next to him for getting the only 100% and ruining the curve. I hated the fact that it was somebody else’s negligence that ended him. He never had the chance to tell the driver that drinking could mess his life up. The irony just made me want to punch a wall, but I knew that would do no good. I had more pain inside me than I could handle at that point.

Looking back, Wednesday night was one of the worst personal experiences I had ever had. It topped Sunday night when I had to be Nastia’s life support for 4 hours. When I first heard of Ilya’s death, I went into shock. Then as I started to realize everything on the overlook that night, I called Nastia and immediately blocked out everything I had in my head to keep her afloat. I was almost scared as to how quickly I came to terms with Ilya’s death, but the circumstances demanded it. Turns out I was just masking everything for a few days. The news of the drunk driver completely unfolded everything I had built up to be able to talk to Nastia and hit whatever was left of me full force. I was already stressed and tired out of my mind on Wednesday so I guess I had it coming for me. I just didn’t see it. Unfortunately, that didn’t mean I didn’t feel pain either.

I didn’t try to sleep until 4 am on Wednesday night. I just sat at my computer, trying to console myself with what my friends were telling me but it wasn’t registering. I was angry, confused, and probably incredibly tired. I read Nate’s footblog. I read a few of his short stories which evoked one or two laughs, but they were all halfhearted. It was just a reaction to seeing a combination of words in a sentence that I had always laughed at before. I was just passing time at that point. Then I ran out of things to read and I tried to type up this post, but that was useless. I just felt like I was a hopeless waste of space. At one point I remember thinking about ending things right then and there but even in that state, my mind laughed at itself and told me to get the hell to bed before I thought myself into a hole. There were so many reasons to live that that thought never should have even crossed my mind. Every one of them was strong enough to support me if the others disappeared. Staying up was pointless.

The reason I had been dreading sleeping and still don’t really like it is kinda sad. I like to lucid dream a lot and have gotten very adept at controlling dreams to change their outcomes. Obviously, the only thing I was dreaming about this week was Ilya’s death. I didn’t know how the street looked, what color the truck was, what direction it was driving. It didn’t matter, because in the dream it was all there, and it was consistent enough to be real for me. I knew it was a dream and would always try to stop the events from occurring. But unlike other lucid dreams where I could actually do this, I couldn’t stop this dream from running its course. Every time, I saw him disappear from the surveillance video in a blur. I would wake up and feel worthless. Eventually I would just be tired enough and not remember anything, and that is when I would actually be able to sleep for extended periods of time.

Thursday morning I still felt like crap. I wasn’t angry anymore, just very upset with myself and how I reacted to everything. I don’t know why, but I expected myself to have been effected less than I actually was. I contemplated not going to class, but that probably just would have me dwelling on my feelings from the previous evening so I dragged myself out of bed after 4 hours of sleep. Somewhere there was a will to bike to campus through the cold and show up and play racquetball. I played like shit and didn’t care. Just going through the motions. I usually love that class and am one of the best players, but today I lost every single match handily. I always go for every ball because I know if I can get to them the other player won’t be expecting it and lose the point. Today I hardly moved from the center of the court and gave up on everything out of arms reach. And I didn’t care. I don’t know if the teacher noticed, but I wasn’t gonna go explaining why I missed Tuesday’s class and just didn’t give a shit today so I was relieved when she didn’t say anything.

After that I went to my 3 hours EE lab. I usually like that one as well because it actually reinforces the stuff we learn in class with neat experiments, but today I just wanted to get out of it. The lab took twice as long as it should have because I was screwing up the breadboard work, which I pretty much expected. I apologized to my lab partner and told him that I would make it up to him by doing the next lab myself. He is a pretty laid back guy so I don’t think he cared too much. I didn’t bother to tell him what was up. Next was EE lecture, which I slept through. Interesting stuff, but I just didn’t feel it today. After that was Computer Science, where we had an in-class assignment we had to complete in the hour and a half that was usually reserved for lecture. I finished in 5 minutes. It was stupid. It might have been fun, but I didn’t really care for the assignment. The only thing I got out of that class was helping out my neighbor figure out the bugs in his code. It was a complete shit show, but it was also very satisfying to be able to help someone who was struggling and see their immediate gratitude. I think I might have helped that kid learn something today.

After classes were finished around 4:30, I submitted some paperwork to get funding for train club and went home. I was still indifferent to everything around me. I can only assume it was because of the intense emotions I felt the previous evening and my mind just wouldn’t have any more of it. I got some homework done, ate ramen and watched a soccer game. I fell asleep 15 minutes into the first half and woke up when Ryan and Marc came home. I relocated to my room and slept for another 2 hours. No dreams, I was way too tired for that. At 9:00, I went back to train club and worked on my “house of sorrows”. I added a door mat and weathered the building to look like it had been used by the workers of the quarry. Still completely indifferent to everything. I went home around 1:00 am.

At this point I got hit by something I would say was loneliness. It wasn’t loneliness though, as Ryan was literally 5 feet to my right on the couch. I realized, for the first time in the last 4 days, how much I missed Ilya. I feel like that sentence can never convey how much I wanted him to be here with me. These were irrational feelings, but after 4 days of turmoil, I didn’t exactly expect my mind to do a 180 and start thinking straight all of a sudden. This loneliness made me stop talking to the friends that I had relied on these past days to keep an even keel and returned me back to my comfort zone: internalizing problems and breaking them down until they were fully understood and no-longer relevant. All of a sudden I had somebody in my head to talk to again, and it was comforting. Sure, nothing made sense at first, but I think that I was so shocked when everything happened that I immediately gave up on my internal coping strategies and opened up to my friends like I never have before. This was highly uncharacteristic of me, although it was probably the healthiest thing to do at that point.

At this point it was around 2 am and I got into a conversation with Nate about the short story he sent me the previous night. I re-read it and gave him my thoughts about it, and this turned into a full blown review and brainstorming session, which I enjoyed immensely. He had his stuff together with this story and I was glad to be able to help where I could – I am excited to see him work on it more and maybe finish it sometime. It promises to be a fantastic read. We finished the conversation around 3:15 am and I went back to typing up this post. This is the fourth time I have typed this and the words seem to agree with me more this time around so I suppose I will keep this version. It is now 5:09 am and I am not going to class tomorrow. And you know what? I think I am making headway. Writing this has helped me figure out what the hell has been going in my head the past few days, and I think tomorrow (today) will be a brighter day than yesterday.

During my bout of loneliness, I talked to Kat a bit about random stuff. After that I thanked her for the time she spent listening. In reply, she said “don’t thank me, I am your friend”. To which I replied “Friends thank friends while they can. If you don’t thank your friends, one day it will be too late. It’s sad, but true.” So my friends, I thank you for all of the help you have given me in my time of need. This is a sincere thank you, knowing that I can never repay you for your kindness.

Here’s to happier posts in the future, with fewer words and more highlights. Good night (morning).
Last edited by isirc10 on 28 Feb 2014 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 28 Feb 2014 06:03

Um, not to be insensitive or a dick or anything, but you kinda have to put a pic in top post of every page of this blog. :?

Just sayin.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 28 Feb 2014 08:10

I suggest a pic of your train!

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 28 Feb 2014 12:30

No worries Ken, I posted this late last night and realized it was the top post.
First thought - darn, Ken can't have the first post.
Second thought - maybe I should put something up instead...
Third thought - screw it, I am going to sleep.

So I put up a photo of a kitty that I took when I filmed the trailer for PSU Jamps two weeks ago.
Tony, I don't have any trains of my own - I go to the club just to build things and run their equipment. Not much of a train person, just someone who likes modelling in general. Here is a picture of our main station. I did the lighting and detailing on the bus.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 28 Feb 2014 12:43

That's cool. Do you do any other types of modelling?

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 28 Feb 2014 13:05

Thanks! I used to do a lot of 1/48 and 1/72nd scale plastic kits when I was younger. Also messed around with slot cars, raced radio controlled cars for a few years, built airplanes, helicopter, multirotors. Made a 6 foot by 4 foot plywood castle. I suppose those still count as models. Also messed around making movie props and recreating stuff from video games. Made a robotic Wall-E with operational treads, then turned him into a paint cabinet:

Most of my interests right now include electronics and their integration with the model. Lots of animatronics and animation. Mostly amateur stuff, but still really cool to learn. I am good with programming, electronics, and mechanical construction, so it's really fun to apply these skills to new challenges.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Feb 2014 13:55

That Wall-E is awesome. So is the model actually. Despite them being long and heavy material, your writing is pretty impressive. (Of course, dark, heavy material makes for better reading, just ask old mate Dostoyevsky, for example).

I'm not so sure about the comment on footblogs being full of happy fun news. I think a lot of people share their lives and many things that have happened. I know I have...It's great now that so many people are posting in their blogs, so there is a great variety of things to read about.

Best of luck with the recovery from this moment, I know that footbag will be a great help, as well as your other interests.

Once you finish your studies, you should look into something like Start Up Chile, or similar programs (accelerators, incubators, etc, etc). Your wide range of skills could really help in a pitch for many kind of cool projects.

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 15 Mar 2014 01:00

Thanks for the comments! I haven't really thought about what I am going to do when I get out of school (IF I get out of academia) but I certainly hadn't considered something like that - I actually have never heard how things like that work... It seems like something I may enjoy knowing the random nature of my interests.

I had a few long posts typed up for this blog over the last week or so, but I decided not to post them. Don't know why, they just didn't feel right. Instead I will save some electrons and just paraphrase.

Time goes by and we begin to accept the way life is, but the loss of such a close friend is no less painful than it was the first day. It just seems like I am better prepared to handle myself when I think about it.

On the 28th of February we had our last session with Nate. I felt like shit all day, even though Nastia was in good spirits when I called her in the morning. (The term "good spirits" really doesn't have a fixed meaning, it fluctuates wildly. One time it can mean that she stopped thinking about killing herself and the other time it could mean that she cracked a joke about my friend's snoring at night) I didn't kick for the first half of the session, just watching in a corner. It was a great turnout and everyone was having fun. Halfway through I figured I would only be more upset if I didn't kick with Nate before he left so I figured I would give it a shot. I don't really know what I hit, but in the end I was glad I kicked. I am definitely gonna miss Nate - he was always inspiring to kick with, interesting to talk to, and a great friend. I never would have met him if not for footbag. He gave me some stuff as a parting gift, including a 14 panel Pipenbag, something that I had bugged him about for close to two years. I was super stoked, and still am. After the session we went to see some of his friends (a few of whom I had met last year) perform at a cafe. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go, but I wanted to say hi to some people I hadn't seen in a while so I tagged along. Unfortunately, I was not in a good mental state to enjoy the music or the atmosphere and ended up staying at a far table. Too many thoughts and memories occupied my brain at that time to make idle conversation so I just kinda sat silently and hoped people wouldn't notice - after all, they were having fun and I didn't want them to worry about me. I asked Nate for his notepad and sketched a crappy picture of my coffee cup while the band performed. When I finished, I gave back his notebook, with the drawing in it. Then I opted out of the party being held at my apartment and headed over to the train club.

At this point, I was hopelessly lonely. Pink Floyd's How I Wish You Were Here came up on my radio and it took a lot of effort to keep things together. That song has some really strong feelings attached to it right now.

Thursday, March 6th rolled around much sooner than I had hoped. Ilya's birthday. Our birthday. Apparently I turned 21 on that day, but that didn't really matter to me. My parents called me the night before and congratulated me, but it was kinda hollow and both sides knew it. The day itself was shitty, as I had class nonstop from 9:45 to 4:40 and then had to go to work from 5 to 10. At work it was Customer Appreciation Day, which means that the food we sell is half off and lines go out the door and continue around the corner. In those 5 hours, I averaged 100 pitas an hour working a line with two other people. It was exhausting. At the same time, I was so preoccupied, I was almost happy. I was making people food, being nice to them, making their day slightly better. But it was still exhausting. I got home and then some of the psu club joined me in watching Wall-E on our wall. It is one of my favorite movies, and I will always enjoy it. That was one of the sole bright spots of the day.

I suppose I should also mention the gifts Ben and April got me for my birthday - if they can't motivate me to paint in color, nothing will. Thanks again my friends, and sorry if my gratitude wasn't expressed according to the social standards.

Somewhere in between there, I resoled my first pair of lavers. Man, I missed those shoes. It was a sad moment when my toes came through the foam and signaled that I needed a new pair. I took some Stealth C4 resole kits from one of my rock climbing friends and built up the front of the sole with spare rubber. Then I sanded everything flat on a belt sander using 36 grit paper and glued everything together with Barge cement. Then I used some Freesole and went around the edges to seal the sole and keep it from peeling back. I cut some random chevron treads on the bottom to keep the dust from collecting on the flat contact patches, and the shoes were better than they were when I first got them 5 years ago. The grip indoors is awesome, and time will tell how they hold up on the pavement.

So, Spring Break rolled around. I went home. That Sunday there was an awesome session at the PSU Berks campus and I drove up there with my sister who wanted to film. It was a lot of fun, even if I kinda sucked. I feel like this is starting to be a theme with my sessions. Oh well. I did end up hitting pdx drifter fairly easily and then got tapping drifter. On Tuesday I kicked with Ryan and Kat outside. As we were warming up, we saw a kid in a powered wheelchair get stuck in the muddy footpaths leading to the basketball courts we were playing on so we decided to help get him out. After a few futile attempts at trying to get him out of there under his own power, we ended up lifting both him and his wheelchair (holy shit that thing was heavy) and dragging it to dryer ground. Footbaggers are nice people. Good deed done, we went back to kicking. I hit some random stuff, with a decent 30-40 contact mostly guiltless string with some atomic stuff. Got ridiculously close to nuke far mirage (sumo?) after telling Ryan that I was going to see if I could hit a nuclear set... I might have to revisit that sometime soon. Also called YOLO and got in a few attempts at superfly that weren't terribly far off. My sister was there for the session and she wanted to learn so I gave her a bag and got her lavers. I was surprised when she asked me to teach her, so maybe she will stick to it. Seeing Kat kick was definitely very inspiring to her.

Tuesday night I flew to Toronto. There is a high amperage lab there that the company I work for uses to test protective clothing, and I spend Wednesday and Thursday working 16 hour shifts there. Got back late Thursday night. Went hiking Friday with Kat to break in my new hiking/walking shoes I got for my birthday from my parents. They aren't hiking boots, being low cut, but they also won't make my feet boil in the summer. Waterproof, breathable, with good support and protection. Time will tell how they hold up, but so far they are pretty comfortable and grip nicely. From my experiences so far, North Face makes good shoes. Worth the price tag. Here is one of the views from the 5 mile hike:

Break is coming to a close and I am feeling really burnt out. March has been a terrible month so far. Jamps are coming up. I suppose I should be excited, but all I see are the logistical nightmares I still have to clear up before that rolls around. Actually, they are probably not that bad, my mind is just tired and freaking out. Most of all, I miss Ilya. Obviously. I realize now that I don't really have anyone else who I trust that much, who I am comfortable saying anything to. I have plenty of great friends who have gone out of their way to help me get back up on my feet, but I know it will be impossible to fill that void he left in my life. So thanks again for your help guys, and if I am ever sad or lost in thought, remember, it's not you guys, it's me. Going to spend a day with my family tomorrow and leave for school on Sunday. Might write some more after the hike if I am in the mood.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 15 Mar 2014 14:52

If it feels like organizing Jamps is stressing you out too much, I can help. I know I don't normally do all that kind of stuff, but I'll do whatever needs to be done to make the event run smoothly.
Ryan Morris

PSU crew, ECFU, Michigan Footbag, and counting.

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 19 Mar 2014 22:02

Well, on Monday I decided to kick off my preparations for Jamps. Probably a good thing I did. Haven't really had a moment to breathe this week, but it's been nice to be busy and not focus on the sadder things in life. I have been working my butt off, making sure that everyone has a place to sleep and knows exactly where they are going. After all, so many people are driving from far away and the least I can do is keep the bargain on my end and provide reliable accommodations. Made a shirt design and was able to find a local place to do the prints for $15 with no minimum order. I will be keeping track of who orders shirts in order to minimize extras and any monetary loss associated with them. My goal is to have this event cost me, and those attending, as little as possible.

I also started making prizes - I have made 2.5 out of the 4 bags I need to make, and have a few plaques in the works for the competitions. With the large amount of people coming from all over the place, I want this to be the best tournament PSU can host. Anticipated turnout is 28-35 people, which is pretty huge... it's really cool to "inherit" such an awesome event from Nick and Nate, but also nerve racking at the same time. Some anticipated trouble spots are weather, organizing people (aka, getting them to wake up and having comps run on time) sorting out transportation to and from the party/kicking sites, and judging... My god, who is going to judge open circles? I know it's a pretty thankless task... asking someone to sit and judge comps is gonna suck for both me and them... and what if they want to compete? How does judging even work - do they need papers or rubrics of some sort? I think I need to talk to Ianek, Matt Kemmer or other people who have judged before.

Anyway, my main goal is going to be to host the best tournament we can - if people leave happy and remember Jamps as an event they want to come back to, then I have done my job. I also kinda want to see how well we can cope with the numbers. Ultimately, I want to see if we can host a significant tournament, and maybe even try our had at putting in a bid for Worlds... it's a long shot, but hey, you gotta start somewhere... and maybe Jamps itself will become a major tournament, something rivaling ECFC or USO. Oh well, I suppose I will have plenty of time to dream about it after the event is over. For now, it's back to work! (or sleep)
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 20 Mar 2014 00:01

I like the shirt design.

If you fly me out I will gladly be in charge of judging ;)

Hosting a tournament is a great accomplishment and can be really fun.
Remember to relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor whenever you can.

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 20 Mar 2014 12:09

Thanks for the offer Asmus :D
I wish we could fly people in... maybe next time I will get our stuff together and do some sort of fundraising.

Relaxing? What does that mean? I am in the middle of my junior year, second semester... I don't think that is possible. Time permitting, I will have all the fun I can - so many awesome people in one place!
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Mar 2014 16:18

Good luck with the jam, everything looks really great - that's a pretty big turnout. Definitely have some flexibility in your scheduling to make sure things will be fine if people turn up late etc, but you also want to really get people into gear to make sure that they are there on time and in the know etc etc.

The prizes look awesome, very unique. The video was great, pretty unique too. I think everyone is going to have a great time. Also, when you are considering flying people out, there are some very nice people living in Chile...

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 24 Mar 2014 15:51

Haha, I will keep that in mind :D

So I have been very excited for Jamps, played pretty well last week in preparation, hitting long runs and starting out with nice links in the beginning. Found out Jim Penske will be coming Jamps, which is baller. Making good progress on all preparations for the event.

And yesterday after my session, my back just starts hurting like a bitch. Actually was a bit tight the whole time I was kicking but I stretched and it sort of went away. During my warm down playing hacky sack, I felt something pull and give a little and every muscle in my lower back, even ones I didn't know existed, spasmed and locked up. Yay.

Called both my doctor, and chiropractor when I got home. Got checked up today. One of my vertebrates isn't exactly where it should be, and there is a small tear in one of the main muscles running along the spine in my lower back. Have a flexible back brace and muscle relaxants. Will be out of action for 2-3 weeks. There is a chance this could all heal up before then, but I am not exactly expecting any miracles.

The shitty thing was that I was really looking forward to competing in Open circles for the first time at Jamps... but oh well, I have been on a pretty shitty streak of events in life. I suppose something good ought to happen soon, right? Guess I will be all the more focused on having the event run as smoothly as possible. Really hoping the next time I update this blog I can write something happy.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 24 Mar 2014 17:48

Thx for everything you've done for Jamps and getting me a place to stay! Hope your back feels better. Cya in a couple weeks!
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 Mar 2014 02:36

Too bad to hear about the injury, bad timing. May give you a lot more chance to focus that everything goes really well. I think something really great will come around the corner, it has to after such a huge pile of bad stuff.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 25 Mar 2014 11:46

Dang man I had no idea your back injury was this bad... :cry:
In any case, if Jamps organization is stressing you out, I'll be glad to help as well. Especially the monetary end of things.

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 27 Mar 2014 10:19

Sorry about your back, friend. :( I hope it heals up in time for Jamps.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 27 Mar 2014 18:37

Thx for hooking me up with a bag. How's the back feeling?
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 31 Mar 2014 20:10

Well, the back is feeling... not great?

On Tuesday I had a small operation, local anesthesia, tiny incision. They glued together the muscle that had separated because apparently it wasn't getting any better by itself and there was a lot of swelling. The past week, it has been getting better. Today I played a bit, just basic tiltless, and some bops. Lasted about 20 minutes until I started to feel some discomfort in the area. Chose to stop. Pretty terrified of hurting things at this point, so competing this weekend is completely ruled out. I hope to still play with people in circles, but I am not counting on it.

Pretty excited about the tournament in general, a few people have bailed, but others have shown up so the numbers have been pretty easy to deal with. Shirts turned out better than I expected, as did all of the prizes (people need to thank April for stitching up a storm). Gonna be putting together an itinerary later tomorrow. Major comps will be on Saturday, goofy stuff will be Sunday.

Have been having dreams about this event recently. Mostly just shit going wrong. Worst one was last night when Old Main (building we kick outside of) just collapsed in the middle of open circle finals... Guess we can rule that one out :roll:

Jim Penske will be coming on Wednesday evening. Have an exam, at that exact time, but people got his transportation covered so its all cool. Sucks that I won't be kicking with him, but whatever - I will be filming and should get some sick stuff. Will probably end up doing the same for jamps.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!