Muffinman

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 13 Jun 2012 15:51

How do you sing karaoke with your social anxiety? Do you just sing at home, or do get drunk first? I like singing karaoke, but I don't drink much so I have to do it sober and it's really terrifying.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 13 Jun 2012 16:04

Yeah, I thought that sounded a bit contradictory. I've only done it out of the house once, and it was in a private room with my girlfriend and one of her friends. I could never do it in a bar or anything like that. I don't really drink much either, though, but I'm not adversed to it, and I love being drunk. My Asian blood makes it really easy too... The room wasn't so bad -- especially if everyone sings together, or at least, like, 2 people singing the same part into one mic. And being with my girlfriend gives me superhuman socializing powers, so that helps. I think I'm still really reserved though, like, I don't sing too loudly or anything. I've done it a bunch at home with our friends though, and only feel mildly self-conscious (maybe since I'm not terrible at singing, when lots of other people are?) It's not real karaoke though. All the times at home it was either Rockband or Karaoke Revolution, which is kind of different, 'cause you don't necessarily sing loud or well as much as you try to match the right notes.

Actually, it's funny that you just made that comment, 'cause my neighbour sings karaoke really badly (and is right now) and apparently people in my building complain about him :P

Also, I'm going to start P90X on Monday!
I really want to start tomorrow, but I'm putting it off until then for a few reasons. I want to read the guides fully, to get the best benefit out of this (which will probably require some research and shopping for some supplement stuffs), and I want to start on a Monday so that it's easier to remember which program to follow each day. I feed my iguana and my girlfriend's hamster every second day, but I find that I keep forgetting which days I've done it... Even though it's so frequently. I've got the calendar and worksheet, and I'm going to read the entire diet guide and fitness guide and try out some of the exercises beforehand to prepare. I want to try to do this as accurately as possible. I just got my pull up bar and resistance bands today. I'm pretty stoked. I'm just worried that I won't have energy for footbag. I'm also not sure how it will work since I will be starting school in less than 90 days... Maybe I will just get as much done as I can. It's pretty close. I might lose 15 days or something. Hopefully following the diet can make up for that.

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 15 Jun 2012 15:05

Hey ... Just realized that I haven't commented on your recent videos...
Live both of them ...maybe the first more than the second but like them both
..your gyro dlos look like cake and and spins are looking better ...really like the intensity and variation ...keep up the good work
.. Good luck with p 90 x ...bit of advice ....don't overdo The first week of workouts ....listen to your body and stop when u need a break

Also thanks for the nice comments on the run in my swirling spinning osis b2b video ...you basically inspired the fun shred video I recently put out ...,hope u liked the runs in that ...
SHRED HARD!

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 15 Jun 2012 15:05

Hey ... Just realized that I haven't commented on your recent videos...
Live both of them ...maybe the first more than the second but like them both
..your gyro dlos look like cake and and spins are looking better ...really like the intensity and variation ...keep up the good work
.. Good luck with p 90 x ...bit of advice ....don't overdo The first week of workouts ....listen to your body and stop when u need a break

Also thanks for the nice comments on the run in my swirling spinning osis b2b video ...you basically inspired the fun shred video I recently put out ...,hope u liked the runs in that ...
SHRED HARD!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Jun 2012 16:38

Hey Mark. Thanks! That means a lot! Yeah, I really liked the rev swirling tricks you threw midstring (twirls and revups). I somehow 'the' flip rev swirling tricks, but I love twirls. Which is the fun shred video you mean? You make so many videos. Also, thanks for the tip for P90X. I hope I can push through the first phase -- I hear it's the hardest. I'm not sure how my upper body will fare. I did the fit test yesterday and destroyed the leg exercises completely, but failed a couple upper body ones. I can do, like, 3 pull-ups, but I can't do even a single one from a hanging start -- I can only start from standing (somewhere between hanging and 90-degree elbows). Anyway, thanks again for the comments.

Duration: 1.5 hours
Bag: Muffinman
Speaking of gyro DLOs I just hit double spinning clipper > gyro DLO both sides, inspired by Aleksi's latest video. I hit a new trick both sides -- nova, although I've hit harder variations of it before. I think I did both sides, like, second try. I should do it more often -- not too hard, and feels cool! The session was a bit frustrating for two reasons: 1) that same person that ruined a session I blogged about a bit ago called me and prattled on for over 30 minutes RIGHT in the middle of my session. I actually did some long-ish tiltless runs while listening to her talk. Haha. 2) my video camera died early -- I'm not sure if it was the battery or SD card. It must have been the battery, I guess... because of the phone call. Rah!

A fun little side was that one of the kids who often watches came by and tried kicking for... like 2 minutes. I thought about getting him to try a toe stall for Nathan's challenge, but I'd need 9 other people, and that doesn't seem like a realistic goal for me. I guess I could have collected his potential toe stall just in case. Oh well.

I warmed up with a long tiltless -- maybe 60-ish. The usual fare. And I ended on a 100-contact guiltless with quite a bit of difficulty and variety for the length. I dropped blurriest on 101. I had five 20+ guiltless runs (not counting that 100-contact warm down), but was hoping for more -- not getting more and my camera dying really frustrated me. But ending the session on that new trick and then a long run felt good. I also played with blenders, and they seemed okay.

Really sad news about Derrick Fogle. I hope he gets better:
http://h4x354x0r.com/2012/06/14/goodbye ... px?ref=rss

EDIT: Here's today's session. This is kind of what an average session looks like where I don't try to hit really hard things. I'll often just start with something weak, new, or neat, and then go with the flow after that. I also missed cutting out a dropped attempt at the beginning of a double spinning clip, so that wasn't intentional. Also missed some things since my camera died like I said. Oh, and it ends with the tiltless warm-up run (which was actually 80-something), which is my usual warm-up fare -- sometimes shorter, sometimes longer:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqfKyxOA ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

Ha! None of my actual highlights made it to video >___< Well, half of one...

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 26 Jun 2012 18:19

I didn't want to ruin the original thread with negativity, but... HOLY! WORST filmed and edited footbag video I have ever seen!:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZQ1pJ7 ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
The '80s "3D" effect didn't help much either... Wow.
Add to that that I saw a picture on Facebook of this guy with some fancypants camera rig attached to his body, expecting to at some point maybe see some super professional video... I can maybe understand cutting high-calibre shred right in the middle of the run in contrast to showing multiple drop attempts of easier tricks... but completely missing not only the upper body in almost every single shot, but also often even the feet and legs... Rant rant rant. I'm super stoked for footage from this event, so that might explain my frustration. I'm having trouble watching all the way through. I mean... look how hard he's concentrating!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 26 Jun 2012 19:13

Hello,

Three things:

1. I agree about that video. I stopped watching about a minute in.

2. Your recent videos have some great shred of you. I feel like you are really improving, and I really love how you can shred without your knee braces. Great work, and it is good to see you pushing hard.

3. How is your inspinning? Your spinning is looking good, and if you are up to it, I challenge you to hit:

spinning clip > spinning osis > inspinning clip > gyro clip > rpt

I want to say I have hit it once, but I am not sure, so I will have to try it again.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 26 Jun 2012 19:23

Thanks TJ. I appreciate it.
I don't know if I feel that I've really improved a ton as much as I'm coming back to my peak. I feel like I'm still not quite as good as I was back in 2008 and 2009, but almost! I was hoping to break that plateau this summer, but P90X might take priority. I hope to start adding footbag again in addition to P90X starting at the end of this week (I'm DYING to play), but I might not be able to play with as much intensity, what with my body being in pain and stiff every day. Hopefully I can keep playing at all during my Master's this fall.

My inspinning isn't great, but my spinning is good enough that I could probably get the drill. I'll try it on camera next time I play. Thanks for visiting :)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Jun 2012 16:54

June 28, 2012
Duration:
1:50 hours
Bag: Muffinman
I actually uncovered some old CHOICE bags from my stitching stuff box. I don't know why I stopped playing with these! Ultimate! I found, like, 5 that are just PERFECT -- just about to die. I plan to use them until they are covered in patching tape now. Oh yeah. Happy day.

TJ: I footed the last contact in the combo on my first try :P It took me a few more minutes to hit the whole thing, but I got it on video (I think I'll post a video later tonight?)
Oh man. Incredible workout today. So I'm almost 2 weeks into P90X. It was killer at first, but now it's bearable and feels really good. I know what pain to anticipate the next day, and so can do some extra stretches to compensate and negate the pain. HOO! Ab Ripper is pretty rough on my lower back, so I have to modify it quite a bit and I replace a couple exercises with planks, 'cause they're too much tension on my lower back. I've also added an additional core routine that I made up for every second day that I don't do Ab Ripper (Ab Ripper is every second day in addition to that day's workout). I do plank, side planks, supermans, and mountain climbers and then repeat before some restorative yoga for my back. I think it's helping. But, man, today.

So I did an hour and a half of Yoga X today. It's a lot harder than it sounds, although the second half is pretty relaxing, it's still hard stuff, and the workout to make me sweat the most (after plyometrics). I didn't eat anything beforehand (I'd just woken up a bit before) except a stick of celery and peanut butter. Then I had a recovery drink after (a cup of skim milk, half a cup of frozen fruit, a banana, and a scoop of whey protein powder), waited about 20 minutes and then had my first footbag session that lasted almost 2 hours. Intense! I played hard and my back was feeling weak the whole time. I'm gonna really need that core routine later tonight. The first three days of the week in this phase are the hardest though, and the last 4 are pretty light, so I might try to fit another session in maybe on Saturday if I'm feeling okay. It feels kinda crazy to supplement P90X like this. I better be damn fit at the end of the summer. I'm also following the diet pretty religiously, which is apparently 80% responsible for seeing results.

Anyway, so some highlights from my session:
-bedwetter > pixie whip [repeat]
-some combo or short run > 10 blurry whips (wasn't planning this) > continue brief run?
-almost 4 blurriests :?
-FLIP PREDATOR! (this is a milestone for me! 10 years after hitting it on my good side. WOW! So, that's one I can check off that list from somewhere above... Almost flip atomic drifter too, but my leg kept catching it -- I think Ab Ripper might be helping with that flip atomic/drifter hip pain!)
-vortex > void (first try) -- dropped the flip void BSOSing the combo...

Geez... it kinda felt like I hit a bunch of neat stuff, but I can't remember anything. It was all mostly whip stuff, and barely any actual runs, but I really just wanted to push and hit some hard things on camera. Haha. When I went outside for my session right after my 1.5 hour intense yoga... I was just, like, "Wow... no way this is happening..." Since I didn't do any runs all session, my warm-down was significantly shorter than usual -- about 40 contacts (although camera died before warm-down run again :P), although I did have some harder stuff like pixie whips BSOS and stuff... Anyway, I'll throw together a video inna bit. What a day. Oh, I had another recovery drink after footbag, 'cause, holy, I'm going to feel this tomorrow... Oh crap, and tomorrow is "Legs and Back"! What hath I wrought??

I've been trying to find some good videos to add to my hack playlist on YouTube. Here is some stellar peak-of-his-game Vasek, and then a totally wicked ZooperSmooth and Jakob Wagner that I hadn't seen for...a couple years?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGLd3caK ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3e_iRT4 ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 28 Jun 2012 17:41

Wow Man! That training seems to be hella hardcore... I hope you won'T get injured man... Make sure to do not over exercice O.o It's easy to hurt your back or something when abs are tired! Other thenm that, i hope it will pay off a ton!! Some sick highlkights in there :). Blurry whip x 10 mid string... that sounds really ahrd to me lol!

Thx for these video... I always forget how good Vasek was at that point haha!
Also, super nice video from Berlin! I had never seen that :O!

Mat

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Jun 2012 21:13

Thanks for the post and concern, Mathieu :)
Yeah, I've added the second core workout every second day just to strengthen my back, and I think it's helping. I'll definitely be careful with my back, 'cause it's really fucked me up in the past... It's silly about the blurry whips. You saw that I only did 8, but I was counting! I would have done 2 more if I knew :P

I never liked Jakob's style too much, but then... I think it was that video that Max Kerkhoff made after Worlds 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPGIsoCPcnQ) that made me go, like, wow -- so unique! I love his style now. Can't get enough. Yeah, it was definitely that video, 'cause I remember playing with him at that Worlds and not feeling it >____< Locker Room (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i4COGWDKMI) was another great one. Ooo.. speaking of videos to add to my playlist! I'd forgotten about that gem too!

Anyway, here's my video from tonight:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OkSE5zc ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 28 Jun 2012 21:47

I agree about Jakob.
I played with him this summer and i was under the impression his style was special, but still really nice to watch!
But then i saw old video and wasn't so sure about it.
So, as we both find out, his style got much sexier in the past few years. Now he is a player i really like to watch, and still wonder why he isn't BAP :).
Mat

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Jun 2012 22:12

Ack!
I forgot a highlight that didn't make it in the video for some reason (maybe I wasn't filming yet?) I hit reverse swirl > blender and reverse swirl > dyno both BSOS, dropped the run on the pdx blender BSOS! It was probably one of the most satisfying things of the session!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 03 Jul 2012 18:41

Props for the TJ drill! It looked really good. I am jealous of how good you are at shifting your weight for the gyro clips. I always lose my balance because of the inspinning right before it.

I'm trying to think of how you can one-up the drill...maybe instead of spinning osis, try spinning far dyno?
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 09 Jul 2012 10:35

Thanks TJ.
I was thinking of a way to one-up it too. I think spinning dyno might be 2-upping :P I'll try it some time though. I've maybe hit that trick once each side ever, or something? So that one would take me a while.

Long update requires subtitles to make it seem like it might end at some point...

P90X
In other news, I haven't been playing much at all because of P90X. I'm a little frustrated since I'm not seeing significant superficial results yet after 3 weeks, but I do feel pretty good eating healthy and all of this. I'm about to start a recovery week which should give me time for a session or two. My girlfriend is home for this week so I'm hoping we can hand-film something on my stretch day. A big reason that I haven't been playing much while simultaneously doing P90X is that it's been really keeping my knees and lower back in an almost constant state of feeling raw. I'm more worried about my knees at the moment, which I think is what's really preventing me from playing. I'm considering using the braces.. but it really changes my game a lot, I've found. My windows are so much smaller, my legs feel clunky, and even though this is my second pair, the support hinges in the side have come apart and are rusty and pokey, not to mention really expensive to replace. I might set up mats inside my apartment and play on a better surface too... I'll see. I wonder if that would make a lot of noise in the apartment below me through, like, concrete floors. It doesn't seem like it would make any noise...

Latest session w/ Zach
Well, Zach and I had a session at London's biggest festival, Sunfest, on Saturday. It was really fun, but I got winded so easily. I think we both averaged around 30-contact runs. It was a super nice evening, too! A break, finally, from the heatwave! (Which seems to be continuing, actually, though I've been too scared to leave the house since.) Yeah, nothing really notable, just longish runs -- sometimes shuffle if lots of people were watching, most mostly lots of spinning which felt really fun, though tough with people walking into me.

So, yeah, really looking forward to a session later in the week and hoping my knees can recover as well. I think plyometrics must be the culprit (and even Legs and Back) -- jump training... (kinda says it all...) I'd love to work on some challenges and stuff too, but I feel like my time is so limited as it is, I'd rather just have fun or get hard stuff on video, which I can enjoy watching later.

VHS Fourkast archival project
I've also still been working on trying to get the VHS project launched, but it's been a huge pain trying to figure out all of the logistics with Sean Wingert and Fourkast for, like, however many years it's been. I'm sooo close, and Justin Dale's project is inspiring me to really push to figure out these last barriers. I've had the digital files waiting for... like half a decade or longer? But uploading them in higher quality in their 2-hour entireties is the problem, since I have to do all of this Amazon server conversion and trickery. Yaarrgh! I think after this week I will spend more time really trying to solve the final puzzle! I think Whirled Shred or California Connection will go first. Something like that. Unfortunately, the downside is that it's been so long that my VHS-capturing hardware no longer works with new versions of Windows and I both never finished digitally converting all of my videos AND left my collection in Winnipeg. So... I'm not sure how many videos I will actually have to put on Fourkast initially, especially as a bunch of them are newer and I was avoiding uploading those at least at first. It looked like someone else was doing something like this too in pretty good quality on YouTube. There was Raw Shred, right? Geez, I forget. That's one of the ones I have too. The quality for some of mine is also not so great, especially, like, Just Shred, since I watched it multiple times every single day for, like, 2-3 years as it was the only video that I had starting out. I think my captured version doesn't even have sound it's so bad... I'll see what I can do though, since Eric Windsor had said years ago that he'd send my the master tapes, actually.

Hmm, which video to post?
I think Ken posted that French Open video 'cause I (and Justin Dale? or someone) added it to playlists on YouTube on, like, the same day, randomly.
Well, here's some nice Jorden, Vasek, and Honza:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JBWqm_M ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 12 Jul 2012 17:40

Had a fun session today.
Well, there was good and bad.
I played a lot better than I expected, since I've been having really bad knee pain lately due to P90X, I'm sure. I started the session with knee-brace warm-up because I was sure I'd need them all the way throughout. It was way too clunky and I took them off. I ended up being fine, and I feel fine now, a few hours later. I didn't really have too many RUNS again, but some neat things. I can't even really remember any highlights except one -- a run with torque, toe torque, and mobius all BSOS, which felt good. I think it was first try. I was clearly making a conscious effort to do torques :p Apparently I just don't drop mobiuses any more. Neat. The sucky is that my girlfriend is completely apathetic about footbag. So every time I get her to agree to film we end up both of us unhappy. Not fun and it really ruined the vibe. So we stopped filming way early.

I guess on the plus side we ended up kicking a little later on. She kept wanting me to toss it to her for her to kick back, which was fun, and I was surprised with how long she wanted to continue. I'm not sure if it was genuine interest or her just wanting to make me happy though. Her kicks look so good and always go straight up, though.

We had a really awesome day completely outside at the park. We biked there, she filmed hack for a while, then we had a picnic, then we played badminton, then we fed geese, then went for a long er bike ride than I thought she could handle to a new bubble tea place for tea and crepes. It was a really fun day. I look forward to whipping together that brief footage too. It was one of those sessions like my last video where I would drop RIGHT before the run is about to get great..like, I hit a good opening combo or something and then drop. I might put up the video later tonight, but she leaves town for a month on Sunday, so we might end up doing more together instead. I'll see.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 12 Jul 2012 21:38

Here's the video from today.
It's quite a bit shorter and I even added some stuff I'd otherwise have weeded if I had more footage. Special blog video I guess. I didn't really get many comments on those last ones anyway. I think those of you who commented are the only ones who actually comment in my blog too, so I'm not missing out on anything here. If you listen carefully, the goose is hissing at the end. Haha. (You can hear it the second time it opens its mouth.)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIp7Z1lF ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

Oh yeah.
Today was Stretch X day for P90X. It did it when we came home after a long day of exercise in the sun. Let me tell you. An hour of stretching after footbag was AMAZING! It felt like melting in a hot tub. If you ever have time after a session, I recommend trying this out! Here's a sample of some of the exercises:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69lO5JD8jA8[/youtube]

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 13 Jul 2012 06:42

I didn't know you had geese in Canada too.

In all seriousness though, I was curious if you have any footbag goals you are working towards now. Do you have any dream tricks left to hit? Any footbag career goals left?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 14 Jul 2012 10:44

Hey Ken.
Interesting question.
I guess I have goals, but the thing is I don't really actively pursue them. For dream tricks I think alpine mobius is the only one I've not hit, that I can remember. Spinning mobius would be cool too. I don't think I've ever tried either much though.

I think my biggest goals would be:
-keep playing with as little injury as possible for as many years as possible
-achieve my highest level (I think I might be there now, or almost?)
-increase consistency and variety

Lesser goals that I think about less or never really work toward:
-10 fearless?
-hit all of my tricks on both sides (there's a short-ish list a few posts back)

I think there might be more, but I can't think of them... Actually, I think about the fearless quite a bit, but never when I actually session, so I plan out possible combos I could do (really tough without paradox whirls!) and write them down, but never really end up trying them. I did that one spinning ducking butterfly > reverse whirlygig combo, which I really liked, but I think that was the last time I tried anything:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Tj3-2zCQE[/youtube]

EDIT: Here's that list of tricks I've only hit on one side (I killed the predator though :)):
-skullsmasher
-alpine toe blur
-predator
-bladerunner
-atomic drifter
-atomic diving symp mirage
-alpine legbeater (seeing a trend?...)
-gary coleman
-montage
-reverse montage rake
-reverse swirling blender
-backside bedwetter
-torch-r-rack
-moby dick
-whirr

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Jul 2012 17:03

quadruple post...
Last edited by Muffinman on 15 Jul 2012 20:35, edited 1 time in total.