The Inshredible Bulk: Not Trending, Not Roll Spiking Either

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 03 May 2011 19:36

Zeke Blocks Scot by airzeke, on Flickr
This is a still taken from video footage from my Canon SX20 IS. First play of the game and I get a clean block on big Scot Hanson's sole push

Easter session
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVjiIQNxQ20[/youtube]
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 07 May 2011 11:59

Zeke wrote:
Nathan wrote: Just saying, people should limit their advice to things that they've actually mastered.
This is very interesting because I think about this every so often when training with Ronnie. I have zero net accomplishments to speak of. I have not even advanced out of pools in any tournaments I've competed in. Some of what I try to help Ronnie with (which I have struggled with as well) is just repeating what Jeremy, Scot, Cory or whomever has been kind enough to offer advice has told me. I will elaborate on stuff I'm far more familiar with; his touch on the bag and using more of his body for a stronger swing

There is some potential in Ronnie in my opinion. I've seen him do things in practice that just flat out amaze me that no one else sees because he chokes really bad in games. While he may not become a phenomenal open level player I do think he can be a solid net player down the line with a lot of work. Lot. Of. Work. He's been training for a little more than a year and he still struggles with some basic skills that almost frustrates me more than it does him. It makes me wonder if that's due to my ineffectiveness as a teacher or just him being so inexperienced at hacking the sack (for the record, most of CLCK has been kicking a footbag in some form a minimum 19 years, R-Dawg just started kicking in 2005). Maybe it's a little of both.

Most of me agrees strongly with Nathan's quote. My ego would like to think that at this point, I've added to his game more than I have been detrimental to it.
I love my new camera. I have been taking more video than stills though. After reviewing some recent practice footage of Ronnie I noticed that he would take his eye off the bag just before contact (if any) was made then his eyes would almost always flinch as if the bag were headed for his face. I think this could be a major source to his shanks and whiffs. His eyes are just not guiding his foot to the bag. I don't think I could have picked that up without video to help. Of course getting him to change his habits present problems of their own.

His serve returns are still awful. In one game I played with him he gave up 8 points missing serves, shanking sets, and whiffing spikes. Scot suggest that I partner up with Ronnie for WCC. Uh... no thanks. Not with stats like that. Officially I'm teaming with Tommy. Greg has a wedding to attend, Ted will be out of town, Bryan has been MIA on the courts. I will only be able to kick with Tommy once or twice at most before the event since he is still in Florida. He will be rusty but that won't stop him from being a glory hog on offense. In my mind that still gives me better chances of getting out of pools than partnering with Ronnie. I don't think I'll ask Tommy to try the staggered 'I' defense. It takes some teamwork but we simply don't have the time to train together. But I will ask him to make better decisions on offense and give him shit for not doing so.

There is a small part of me that feels shitty for not picking Ronnie because I do think he expected us to team up.

But I'll get over it.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 08 May 2011 12:44

Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 12 May 2011 06:33

Here's a quick room tour slideshow of the place in 3 stages - when I first took a look at it, after it was cleaned out then after I moved in. The first 2 stages were taken with my old Canon S5 and the third was with a Nikon D40 that I borrowed.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 13 May 2011 18:18

You shouldn't feel bad for not partnering with him. Each player is trying to get the best partner they can. He can fault you for finding who you thought was your best potential partner, but it would be irrational to do so.

BTW, The Inner Game of Tennis tells us that learning players can make faster progress through use of visual imagery and the "feeling out" of a skill through repetition, than by hearing advice on "proper technique."

Very interesting thought . . . letting the body work out the kinks of a motion naturally by using a mental image of the perfect, and just allowing the body to "let it happen" over time.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 15 May 2011 22:05

SideAxe_Jpg_001 by airzeke, on Flickr
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 23 May 2011 08:44

@ Jer. You're right. I have almost no regrets about my decision now. Mostly because Ronnie forgot to get the days off for this past demo in Carol Stream. What the hell does that have to do with anything? He's not really the type to think ahead and prepare accordingly. He even text me asking when the days of the Windy City Cup are going to be. Really? Even after a million emails and dozens of face to face conversations since the last WCC about dates, sponsorships and organization he STILL doesn't know when our own tournament takes place.

I bet he's still waiting for my reply. (Left my phone in Rob's car)

I bet he never though to google it

I bet he doesn't even know the name of the tourney!

That's fine, though. There's nothing wrong with that. In my own way I'm just sayin that he just doesn't have a lot qualities I would want in a partner for a net tournament. He makes a decent enough practice partner. 'Decent', you ask? Try getting a good hand tossed set from him during spike practice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 23 May 2011 08:54

That picture is awesome.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 23 May 2011 14:10

how was that carol stream thing?

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 23 May 2011 17:44

Thanks, Sen :D

The Just Play Festival was a'ight. The demo itself was meh. We got there and did our warm-ups in front of this long, low stretch of empty bleachers since were the first act at 11am. Then we played pick-ups from 11:30 to 3:30. I'm actually glad we got that formality out of the way first. The park filled up as the day went on. The festival reminded me a lot of Taste of Chicago with all the booths and people walking around outside but instead of food people got to try activities. It was so busy and crowded in the afternoon that a good portion of them stumbled on our court right in the middle of play! One mutant actually got like 4 feet into the court by the net and looked around as if lost for like 5 minutes then tripped on one of our lines as she started walking away. The whole time she was completely oblivious to us! I wanted to laugh the hardest but unfortunately I was also the closest to that moving disaster. Then there was this one obnoxious little chubster that camped out near our lines and gave his little color commentary... 2 words...

space

maker

Speaking of space, the spot in the grass they had given to us was slanted and bumpy. We ended up claiming a different space adjacent to one of the bleacher ends. It was an island of relatively decent grass surrounded by asphalt that led to the main show area. We just barely fit the court. The end lines had to be shortened to make everything work. When the other performers did their routines the crowd not quick enough to grab seats on the bleachers would often be on our court so they could see the real attractions. There were occasions where a few of the spiked bags would roll too close to the performers. One bag stopped right in the way of a BMX biker moments before he he rolled onto the ramp to do a trick.

Despite hitting a few big spikes I mostly played like ass. The wind and all the other annoying factors really prevented me from getting into a proverbial groove. I'd do it again next year if we get invited back. I never walked around to check out the rest of the festival (typical me) but I hope we can get a better spot so that we are not in anyone's way. I'm not as sore as I was expecting to be but my knee still aches a little .

Meh

One of my favorite moments from Sunday was during the drive to Carol Stream when Rob Creel and I came up to a street called 'Schmale'.
"Does that say she-male?" I ask. We both got a slight chuckle out of it. After we passed it I noted that the street went both ways. Then we were like :lol: :lol:
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 26 May 2011 22:17

So I'm actually a little more excited to see if the intermediate division is actually going to happen than I am to see if Tommy and I can make it out of pools. I sent out a mass text to a bunch of hopefuls asking them if they would be interested in competing intermediate at WCC.

Obed - Says he's down to compete. This was a surprise. The few times Ive seen him on the court he seemed anxious to get over with net and play squares instead. He's a pretty decent kicker. His right outside kick already has good form.
--Update--has requested days off. very likely to come out

Marty - Says he's off those 3 days and wants to compete. About as good a kicker as Obed, if not a little bit better. He has lost a lot of weight but he's still slow and one sided. Still he has a strong chance of winning.
--Update-- has 'officially' requested days off and is partnering with Twitch

Cuba - I can't get straight answer out of this guy. His outside kicks are decent but they are both set to bang, not go straight up. He may finish near the bottom if he competes. His chances would be better if he could stay focused. Maybe I'll tell him first prize gets a real light saber...
--Update-- has requested days off, very likely to come out

Aaron - Says he wants to compete. Very enthusiastic and listens well on the court. Big wide body but decent mobility for his size. Easily has the most power of the bunch. I can see him finishing near the top.
--Update-- still haven't gotten a hold of him to get him to commit

John P - Interested but has to work on Saturday. He twisted his ankle pretty bad during a practice with me last year. Tall with long limbs and is a pretty good hacker. If he's competing and healthy he would be my pick to win singles.

Jon J - Interested, might have some work issues though. Ronnie and I met him randomly at Welles. He jumped on the court and played very unselfishly, looking to set whenever possible. Understands the basic strategy and is a pretty good hacker from what I little I've seen.
--Update-- Can't make it, out of town that weekend

Twitch - No reply. If he hears that Marty and Aaron are in, I would bet he will compete too. He has a surprisingly strong serve but not much else.
--Update-- Is partnering with Marty. Currently unemployed, so...

Tommy A - No reply. I'm really jealous of his abundance of natural athleticism. Not a great kicker' but hes quick and can probably jump higher than the rest of the bunch (probably higher than me too... fucker).
--Update-- Interested but might be busy that weekend. Not looking likely

Mark - Interested but not committed. He showed up at last years WCC. He's come out to a few practices and has some surprising quickness. Decent hacker. Very one sided.
--Update-- competing.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 11 Jun 2011 10:40

More noob updates

So I hear that Obed isn't working. Maybe I misunderstood and he just meant that he was going to make sure there wasn't anything else planed the weekend of WCC. He and Cuba are partnering up.

Cuba came out and practiced last Wednesday. I forgot we were supposed to meet at 1pm because I also scheduled a practice with Twitch and his friend Franky for 3pm the same day. Regardless, I was there at 3pm and the others started trickling in an hour or so later. Cuba finally showed up at 5pm... for a 1pm practice. Wow. On point, Cuba tries hard but, like Ronnie, he's got wonky mechanics. They both have a serious lack of grace and fluidity. But he tries. Focus is another thing they both have very little of. If you look up ADD in the dictionary, Cubas picture should be there but he might be late.

Marty "practiced" with me last week and struggled with his outside kicks. I could see his confidence was shaken as he could understand why the net footbag did not behave like the empty sandbags he was used to kicking around. When he practiced with me 2 times this week he must have been practicing his outside kicks because he making contact and they were going up. He pays attention and you can see him concentration on his form. He's going to finish in or near the top in both singles & doubles IMHO.

Twitch has been a surprise. His serve is actually pretty strong and he has been practicing his outside kicks. They have good form on both sides. While he seems distracted, he does relatively well in the court. I was impressed at how easily he has been picking up serve returns.

Twitches friend, Franky came out last week and said he wanted to compete. So he's come out and trained at the last 3 practices. Easily the weakest in the field. He's never even hacked before. Along with the two net bags I let him borrow, I gave him a Sipa-Sipa from my collection to just practice basic kicks and improve his eye-foot coordination.

I have not seen or heard from Mark or Aaron in a weeks

John and Jon are both unable to make it to the event
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 29 Jun 2011 10:38

Finally recovered from WCC. Here's the media:

IMG_1385 by airzeke, on Flickr

IMG_1357 by airzeke, on Flickr

IMG_1473 by airzeke, on Flickr

IMG_1595 by airzeke, on Flickr

IMG_1626 by airzeke, on Flickr

IMG_1624 by airzeke, on Flickr

ImageImageImage

IMG_1515 by airzeke, on Flickr

IMG_1560 by airzeke, on Flickr

IMG_1522 by airzeke, on Flickr

IMG_1555 by airzeke, on Flickr

IMG_1553 by airzeke, on Flickr

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubKWCe6xTkU[/youtube]
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 04 Jul 2011 21:42

Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 20 Jul 2011 21:46

Marty hits his first spike in a game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7A_Xi4XgKc[/youtube]
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 25 Jul 2011 00:21

I have been playing, dare I say, up to my potential the last 3 sessions. So that makes me very happy. Losing a little weight helps abundantly. Less stress on my knee means I'm more explosive and confident on the court. This helps both offensively and defensively. I've also started sweep serving. Although I'm not getting the placement I get with my old serve, I am delivering more power and still serving in bounds just as often. This allows me to score in bunches building leads or making the occasional (previously near impossible) comeback. My serve returns have been solid

I'm still filming practices and sessions but I have to finish the WCC highlight vid before uploading anything else. Even though I capture a fair amount of every session it seems like the real epic moments somehow never make it to disc, WTF. For example, Ronnie actually backing up his shit talking for a change and setting me on game point for a monster shtataff and the win. Personally I dont think anyone should be shit talking especially if they've fucked up at just about every play in the game. I'm really upset about a couple of toe jams the didn't get captured. One hit the tape then tattooed Scot in the balls and the second I hit about 5 feet off the net and damn near 7 feet in the air that flew down the sideline and into the corner. I need to get used to monitoring the battery life and memory of my camera.

Of all the newbs I was in contact with before WCC, Marty has been the only one to stick with it. He's been progressing every session. There are still quite a few bad habits he needs to break to become a better player.

Practice practice practice
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 02 Aug 2011 06:30

Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 16 Aug 2011 11:22

Scot posted a pic of A Fin Net player kicking a target at 9 feet at worlds. I'm not near that but its always fun to speculate. The actual net is 2.5 feet high with the top at 5 feet when the court is set up. Using that as a rough guide I think I'm at least 7? Maybe even 7.5?

vlcsnap-2011-08-07-03h16m39s199 by airzeke, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2011-08-14-23h28m27s161 by airzeke, on Flickr
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 20 Aug 2011 06:49