What is the culture in footbag?

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
The Awed Observer
Circle Kicker

What is the culture in footbag?

Post by The Awed Observer » 01 Mar 2006 11:36

I'm a student at a college doing a project where I have to intergrate myself into a culture I'm not familiar with. Recently I met someone who is in to footbag. I was amazed by all the stuff he had to say and the passion he has for the sport. Of course I had seen "hackey sack" in front of school, and being raised by hippies but I didn't realize how big, important, and interesting footbagging really is. From what I've been able to tell this is a really tight community and I'm interested in knowing how serious footbaggers feel about the sport, why this is a culture to you, how you feel about the footbagging community, and how footbagging has influenced your life. Thanks for taking a few moments of shredding time to help a clueless chick understand this amazing phenomenon

dazza
Flower Child

Post by dazza » 01 Mar 2006 12:05

meet up with this guy>get a bag>get lavers>practise kicks and stalls>
go to tournaments>practise more = join the madness :D
EASYKINKI

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 01 Mar 2006 12:13

I think the best way to find out why we love this sport so much is to start playing a bit.

Ask the person you talked to earlier if you can join them for a session or two. That will help you understand how much this sport has to offer. If you can check a tournament too, that will probably blow you away.

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 01 Mar 2006 13:06

I cant even begin to tell you how much EVERYBODY here is dedicated to footbagging! There are soo many people here that just live,breathe,talk,watch, and do everything, as footbag is apart of it!

its an awesome sport where you can progress and become an awesome shredder, and where you can see other people like you that have accomplished goals that you never thought possible for them! Almost everybody here treats everybody else like family.... I will tell you a story about when i first got into the freestlye sport of footbag....

Me, Kyle Hewitt, and Zac Jackson were traveling to boise idaho for the first time ever just so we could shred with pro's of this great sport (which up until about 2 hours later we have never even spoken to them in our lives!) We contacted them through this forum and they gave us thier home number, so we called them when we had gotten to boise, and they gave us directions to thier house.
When we finally arrived at thier house they greeted us like we were good friends or something, always offering us stuff and asking us whats been going on and so forth. But yeah later after about 3 or 4 hours of shredding they had asked us where we were staying, (we were staying with another friend), but none the less they asked us if we wanted to stay at thier house with them and one of the shredders family....This was really tempting but we already had plans of staying somewere else.
After we left i felt like we had a bond, but then i realized that bond was already there because a lot of people here feel like good friends, and half of them have never even seen thier friends in person, but given the opportunity they would gladly shred together, so that they could have fun , share stories, share tricks and just have fun in general!

so yeah footbag is more of one BIG giant worldwide community

Note: as a way of life: when we were shredding at these peoples house, they had the biggest room of thier house devoted to footbagging (the freedom room) its there that they spend most of thier time shredding with firneds and with others...and in that room was well over 100 or more footbags...

so yeah i thought i would share that story because it was a fun trip, and it was relevant to the subject

Edit: to help you more understand what freestyle footbag is like, i recommend looking at all the amazing videos we have to offer on this site
look in the videos forum for them im shre they will help you in some way ;)

- you might also wanna start learning footbag to see why people think its so interesting and fun, and why they spend so many painstaking hours learning the tricks that they know. hopefully this will help ;P

Note- its kinda not cool to put more than one post in more than one forum, some people dont like that too much

Faco
Fearless

Post by Faco » 07 Mar 2006 14:40

From what I've been able to tell this is a really tight community and I'm interested in knowing how serious footbaggers feel about the sport, why this is a culture to you, how you feel about the footbagging community, and how footbagging has influenced your life. Thanks for taking a few moments of shredding time to help a clueless chick understand this amazing phenomenon
We feel very serious about it. Last time, me and my girlfriend (who I love more than anyone) talked about our future and I explained her how I will allways be into Footbag. If my legs stop functioning, I will still sit in front of PC and download new videos and follow the progress of the sport. That was not something she could understand (as she has no such obsession of her own), so she was a bit pissed.
But that's the way it is...I love it and more I think about it, the more obsessed I get.

The question why is this a culture feels a bit stupid, sorry.

I simply LOVE the community! It really is incredible how almost every single person who is into Footbag (I said almost) can relate to another.

How has Footbag influenced my life...
Well for one thing, it introduced me to the world of sport, which I hated from my birth. I still hate football, basketball and almost any other sport like that. I was always more into underground. So when I discovered Footbag I chanched a lot. I lost a few friends. I gained some friends. I met many people. I traveled to other countries. I think differently.

And I only play for 2 years :wink:
Ales Zazaro