Brand new, looking to get and stay on the right track!

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Pistol Pete
Circle Kicker

Brand new, looking to get and stay on the right track!

Post by Pistol Pete » 29 Jul 2011 19:40

Hey guys, I'd like to start with how I was introduced to footbag. I was at a bbq and a friend busted one out and we were all pretty horrible, but I had a lot of fun. I looked online to get one like his and found a video of Vasek Klouda SHREDDING doing moves I never knew were even possible and decided I wanted to get into it because it seemed cheap, accessible, and most of all, FUN.

2 weeks later and I've got a plastic pellet bag from big5, a sand filled 32 panel bag from bombfootbags (MAJOR UPGRADE) and a pair of lavers from Nordstrom for $40.

So here I am now, completely fresh and excited to learn, but I'm still just working on building the coordination to do simple things like inside kicks and stalls.

Just wanted to say hi and get acquainted with the message board!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 29 Jul 2011 20:21

Christ dude... You're 19 minutes from some really great players. Justin Dale, Ricky Moran, Dan Reed, Sam Potter and I think there are lots more... You're a lucky dude. Contact one of those guys. I'm sure they'll be stoked to hear they have a new player. Welcome to the scene, btw.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 29 Jul 2011 20:26

Welcome to the wonderful sport/game/past time of footbag! I hope you'll enjoy your time here. I'll give the best advice that any of us were ever given.

"Learn the basics on BOTH SIDES." It'll make life easier later on.

TCheas
Hack Fiend

Post by TCheas » 29 Jul 2011 21:22

HAHA you and me followed the same path man. big 5 pellet bag then bombfootbags. let me guess you got the bomb? well anyway takes sens advice, its probably one of the most important things for learning, plus hes great at giving it =D GOOD LUCK and welcome!

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 29 Jul 2011 22:10

Hi Pete. My name is Reilley. I am new to these forums myself, but have recently been helping coordinate sessions for the local Seattle footbag club, Rain City Shred. We have approximately a dozen active players and play twice a week. One of our players regularly commutes from Redmond to kick.

I am private messaging you my contact info. I look forward to playing with you!

footbagkid94
Circle Kicker

Post by footbagkid94 » 02 Aug 2011 15:57

Sen could not be any more right when he says learn on both sides. If you don't, you are only setting yourself up for more trouble down the road. Master all of the basic kicks first before moving onto the stalls, this will make learning the stalls that much easier.

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 02 Aug 2011 17:02

^Some of my family's in Waukesha. I'll have to look you up next time I'm up there. Or come to Chicago sometime.

footbagkid94
Circle Kicker

Post by footbagkid94 » 04 Aug 2011 19:32

Frank we will have to meet up sometime at a public park such as frame or bunchner and shred together. I've never met an actual footbag player before, and I've always wanted to. I'm tired of kicking with the noobs. So next time you're in the area we totally should shred.
Footbag freestyle takes a lot of time and dedication. Don't give up on yourself! Even the best players had to fail the easiest of tricks hundreds to thousands times before they landed it once!

Pistol Pete
Circle Kicker

Post by Pistol Pete » 05 Aug 2011 10:40

I was fortunate enough to kick with RCS last night and had a blast! Everybody was extremely welcoming and had great tips to improve. My motivation is through the roof now. Super stoked for future sessions

footbagkid94
Circle Kicker

Post by footbagkid94 » 05 Aug 2011 10:45

That's what I like to hear pistol pete! Just remember you can do what ever it its you are trying to do all it takes is practice
Footbag freestyle takes a lot of time and dedication. Don't give up on yourself! Even the best players had to fail the easiest of tricks hundreds to thousands times before they landed it once!