First Annual ShrEdmonton Freestyle Footbag Tournament

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
SlashC
Egyptian Footgod

First Annual ShrEdmonton Freestyle Footbag Tournament

Post by SlashC » 28 Feb 2005 21:29

It's official.

Ben and I confirmed the venue today, and it was everything we could have hoped for. Now that our number one priority is taken care of, everything else can follow suit. So, without further ado, here's the info that is for sure...I'll follow it up with everything else that is planned but not yet secured:

ShrEdmonton Freestyle Assembly 2005

Date: June 24-26

Competition: Shred 30, Sick 3, and informal Big Trick.

Venue: Citadel Theatre - The David Bentley Multipurpose Room.

This room is literally everything we could have hoped for in a venue. It's a large, well-lit room with windows, plenty of overhead clearance, and big enough for at least 40 or 50 shredders. There's bathrooms nearby, a small kitchen if you want to bring a lunch and microwave and/or refrigerate it, (and a sink for water of course) and they have no problem with us playing music at all (see below for that). It's across the street from a large arts festival that's going on during the weekend...we're actually looking at the possibility of being able to play there if it's nice out.

Accommodations : Lister Hall

The host hotel for the tournament is University of Alberta's Lister Hall. Accommodation is provided in traditional dorm rooms. Single and twin rooms are available; washrooms are centrally located on each floor; linen and towel services are provided. 15 twin rooms are available at Lister Hall under the group booking "Alberta Footbag Association" for $44.40(CAN)/night/room. If you prefer to have your own room, single rooms are available outside of the group booking for about $33.00 - $39.00(CAN)/night. The group booking rates will be available until May 25th and if you choose a twin room you must book the room with a mate. If you do not have a mate PM me through modified. Reservations for rooms can be made by calling 780-492-6057, by e-mail at guest.services@ualberta.ca , or by faxing at 780-492-7032. You can download the reservation form here:
-> Lister Hall Reservation Form <-

Music: DJ BryZe will be spinning some house, breaks, and trance for the Saturday shred, and maybe the Sunday as well. He's a good DJ folks, he knows his stuff.

Players' Party: Will be held at Ben Cochrane's house. We decided against having it at a bar, because we didn't want to exclude underage players. This way, everyone can chill at the same place. He's got a big screen plasma TV downstairs to watch shred videos on.

Elements yet to be Finalized:

Dinner on Friday Night: A freestyler gathering on opening night, most likely to be held at either Boston Pizza or Blue Chicago. Friday will feature less formal freestyle footbag schedules...the schedule will pretty much begin with the dinner.
Outdoor Venue: Like I said above, there's a large arts festival going on during the same weekend, so we may not be able to kick on Winston Churchill Square. We're going to talk to the City to look at that possibility, but aside from that, we have a few other neraby locations in mind. Namely, the Alberta Legislature Grounds...a great area a number of blocks away. There's a big wading pool, a fountain, tons of open space on both grass and cement, and lots of stairs of varying heights for trials/street. If it's really nice out, there will literally be hundreds or people there, if not thousands throughout the course of the day.
Host Hotel: We're looking at the University Residence, Lister Hall. It's a bit of a dive, but that seems to be par for the course with footbag tournaments.
T-shirts: Will be made, and included with the registration fee. A few more will be available for purchase.
Sponsorship: We've already got two sponsors (I think? One?) and we've got some good leads on more. We're looking into the possibility of providing lunch on Sunday, water to the players, beer for the party, a discounted rate at the host hotel, a discount at the players' dinner...etc.
Media: We may get some competition coverage...I need to call A-Channel Edmonton again. At the least we'll probably get on the morning show for some exposure in the days leading up to the jam.
Players' packs: Again, this will be based upon the amount of sponsorship we receive.
Web Site: That's Rory's job, last I talked to him, he's in preliminary stages of creating it. It will have additional information a player might need, like maps to the venue, which bus to take, some Albertan phrases to help you get by in this strange town, etc.
Numbers: This is where you come in. We're aiming to bring at least 30 shredders out to this event. Right now, the "Most likely for sure I think I'm certain" list has approximately 22 people on it.

Make no mistake: if Edmonton is going to do this, Edmonton is going to do this right.
Last edited by SlashC on 30 Apr 2005 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Rory "Tophat" Dawson

---

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 28 Feb 2005 23:04

I am SO excited! :D

I have full faith in you guys to pull off a sweet ass tournament. You sound so organized so early!

It now looks like my schedule MAY allow me to go.

I should be living in Kingston then and so long as that isn't when I have an exam to write for summer school I should be there!

Thanks for making fun happen! 8)
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

lightningbolt
Nothing Vulgar

Post by lightningbolt » 28 Feb 2005 23:44

Hmmm, I just check the airplane tickets. They weren't that bad. I'm going to try to make this one!
I think I going to take over Canada. You should help.
Get Firefox!

footbinc
BSOS Beast

Post by footbinc » 01 Mar 2005 09:37

To Update on the post rory made (Although It sounds like Kevin Made it):

Host Hotel: Its not far at all. There is an LRT (Underground Rail) station 2 blocks from Lister that has a stop right under the citadel (5 min ride)

Friday Dinner: Ill Let you all know after i go drink at the chicago this wednesday ;)

Players Party (Saturday): My House is kinda far, but is an ok joint. Fire Pit and such in my yard and a nice smooth alley for some kickin. (And my TV is LCOS, not plasma ;))

Cheers

Ben
(Anyone wanna play net? ;))
- Ben Cochrane

If you bang it once, I will punch you in the f*%kin mouth!

skankin
Multidex Master

If I can make it Ill be there

Post by skankin » 01 Mar 2005 14:12

Well June 24th is ST-John the baptist day, AND IN QUEBEC ITS THE BIGGEST F***IN holiday, I be on my way to British Columbia at that time, so Edmonton would only be 3 or 4 days from my final destination so Ill probably be there...

Skankin

footbinc
BSOS Beast

Post by footbinc » 01 Mar 2005 14:33

Are you driving to BC? We are right on the beaten path!!!
- Ben Cochrane

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 01 Mar 2005 16:24

woohoo!

Ok so I am planning on coming to this event, BUT it has to be as cheap as possible, where's the east coast road trippers? I booked off the weekend for work today and im going to put money aside for it. I want to go to this so bad.
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 01 Mar 2005 17:02

Good. :)

I posted this in .org, but I'll re-iterate it here too. There will be competition in Open and Intermediate categories, and prize money for each category. How much money wil be decided by how many people register, and how much sponsorship money we have left over.

If anyone is coming Thursday instead, we can probably figure something out as far as floorspace for you. ;)
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

Brett
Shredalicious

Post by Brett » 01 Mar 2005 17:05

The Saskatoon crew will most definety be in Edmonton for the tournament.
Brett Campbell

footbinc
BSOS Beast

Post by footbinc » 03 Mar 2005 09:37

OK

Update 1 - Looks like the Blue Chicago will be a go for the Friday Nite Registration, Pre Party, Boozefest, whatever you would like to call it. Ill finalize the times and stuff. If you will be coming in Friday, let me know so I can give them a rough number heads up. Also if anyone needs a ride from the airport, let me know, I will come get you. Our airport sucks ass because its like 2 billion miles from the city (actually like 15 minutes, but its far)

CHeers

Ben
- Ben Cochrane

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 03 Mar 2005 10:35

Awesome. Feel free to fill me in on the "details" next session.

I had a thought in the shower today. Maybe we could get ETS to sponsor the tourament with transit ticket packs for the players. It'd make it easier to get around, that's for sure.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

footbinc
BSOS Beast

Post by footbinc » 03 Mar 2005 10:38

not a bad idea. i was gonna email you the details, but ill fill yea in friday (are we kicking?) or tuesday.

Cheers
- Ben Cochrane

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 03 Mar 2005 11:48

Unfortunatley, I won't be attending. And even more unfortunatley the guys from Saskatoon are, which means they won't be in Saskatoon that weekend. . . eh, complaining won't help things!

I'd be interested in purchasing a shirt since I can't actually be there.

skankin
Multidex Master

Ill be driving to BC or Flying or hitch hiking

Post by skankin » 03 Mar 2005 15:52

yeah ill try to make it to edmonton shred session....but now I have to take care of my knees so I can start to play again soon....

take care see you then

SlashC
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SlashC » 03 Mar 2005 20:34

I can do some airport runs too.
Rory "Tophat" Dawson

---

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 06 Mar 2005 20:38

Le Bumpy Mc bumpkins
SHREDMONTON 05 holla back Ontario who's up??
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 06 Mar 2005 20:46

:D
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 06 Mar 2005 21:44

I'll be there 8)
Nicholas Laroche

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 07 Mar 2005 00:57

I wish I could go, I love travelling in Canada so much! :( Maybe next year!
Mathieu Gauthier

footbinc
BSOS Beast

Post by footbinc » 07 Mar 2005 08:36

Le Bumpy Mc bumpkins
SHREDMONTON 05 holla back Ontario who's up??
This kind of talk will get you killed out here by dumb ass rednecks ;)

See you all soon!
- Ben Cochrane