Just joined from footbag.org, returning to the sport

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
TokenHippie
Hack Fiend

Just joined from footbag.org, returning to the sport

Post by TokenHippie » 06 May 2011 19:46

So I just made my return to footbag a couple weeks ago but I had never been ridiculously committed until now. Fooled around in the past but now I'm super cereal about trying to adapt my skills in freestyle. Got my lavers yesterday and I'm teaching myself the sport from almost scratch. I can do toe and inside stalls, ATW on my right leg but I'm scratching all of that. Right now trying to get 100 alternating basic kicks... frustrating at times but I'm getting there. I'm at about 63 as my record. I feel like I still need more control over the bag because it runs away from me at times and I have to get my left leg stronger. Its embarrassing how my right tries to outshine my left but I'm working at it. Hope to get to 100 naturally in the next couple weeks.
Why circle jerk when you can circle kick??

(Nick Charles)

NYFA in the building baby
F.O.B.- Footbag over bitches

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 06 May 2011 20:37

haha you lucky lucky bastard... You're in the heart of NYFA. One of the most well-known footbag crews. Barrett Neimeth and Matt Cross are located right in Brooklyn. I suggest you hit up Matt. NYFA will be thrilled to have a new player who is serious about the sport. I'd contact Matt on here (Username: "mc") or on facebook, Matt Cross. Good luck, I'm in PA, not too far and plan on kicking a decent bit with NYFA this summer. I'll probably be meeting you sooner than later. Good luck with footbag.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

TokenHippie
Hack Fiend

Post by TokenHippie » 07 May 2011 19:08

SAY WHAAAAAAAAT!!! I did not know that! I am a fan of Matt Cross like I assume most beginners are. I'll be sure to hit him up asap because I am sure he'll be able to help me get more advanced at my basic kicks and get on to stalls, tricks etc. Thank you greatly for that piece of advice and I'm really looking forward to seeing and kicking with you soon 8)

(Nick Charles)

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 07 May 2011 19:29

Whoa, cool first name, Nick. Nick is one of the best first names to have, in my opinion. You probably agree with me :P

But for real, yeah, no problem man. Glad to give you that info. We'll be kicking this Summer, no doubt. Cya sooner or later.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

TokenHippie
Hack Fiend

Post by TokenHippie » 08 May 2011 09:59

Hey man, got any advice on getting your kicks to 100 regularly? I feel like sometimes I'm on fire but other times I don't make it too far. There are still those points where the bag will get away from me. Might be a warming up thing but I'm just looking for some feedback, I'm devoting the next week or so to getting mastering my kicks

(Nick Charles)

ninjo
Fearless

Post by ninjo » 14 May 2011 10:51

Hey man i'm Luis.Just droppin in to welcome u back to the Footclan.

i have a footblog too.please check it out.i post alot cuz i'm crazy bout footbag.

i'm addicted to uploading my homemade vids to Youtube and my .org gallery.

PLEASE click links in my sig below this post to watch.

i try to share with as many peeps as possible.

word :)
Hard work never fails.
Organics,Poop,Laugh,Smile,Peace,Water,Dream,Share.
Lotus>Gyro Blender>Mobius.
BananaPeanutButterHoneyRaisinCinnamon
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/showset/luvids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01l-kAi_ ... t_received

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 23 May 2011 20:22

TokenHippie wrote:Hey man, got any advice on getting your kicks to 100 regularly? I feel like sometimes I'm on fire but other times I don't make it too far. There are still those points where the bag will get away from me. Might be a warming up thing but I'm just looking for some feedback, I'm devoting the next week or so to getting mastering my kicks
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. What I've read and found works best for me is the really focus on kicking with the center of your foot, don't let the bag hit the too far up towards the toe or back by the heal for an inside kick. The center will give a nice pop back up and should be an even surface, parallel to the ground. You may have to really work on timing to kick it while your foot is on the right angle.

There is surprisingly a lot to think about for what seems like a real simple action. You've already got the best idea on how to get better. Practice. Even after you think you can do it well, keep practicing it. I kick to 100 at the beginning and end of almost every session.

TokenHippie
Hack Fiend

Post by TokenHippie » 24 May 2011 10:56

Thanks a lot that's awesome man, I actually recently got to 112 consecutives and lately I've been working towards getting clipper mastered. Its coming along well. I have an official footblog here called "Tokens Footblog" that I update pretty regularly so feel free to compare ideas and opinions with me there so that I can continue to progress as well as I am :)

(Nick Charles)