1st Annual World-Wide "Play Footbag!" Day: Sept 4

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.

Who's With Me?!?!

Hell Yeah!!!
93%
Nope.
7%

Total votes: 28

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

1st Annual World-Wide "Play Footbag!" Day: Sept 4

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 27 Jun 2011 22:09

It's bothered me for such a long time that our sport is so unheard of by the general public. Anyone ever heard of this unofficial holiday?...

GO SKATEBOARDING DAY..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLzM1j9sXq8&feature=fvst[/youtube]

Why the hell don't we do this for Footbag?

A WHOLE DAY OF FOOTBAG WHERE EVERY PLAYER ALL AROUND THE WORLD WILL PLAY FOOTBAG IN PUBLIC AND TRY TO PROMOTE!!

Of course it would be a smaller crew doing it in each area since footbag isn't that well-known, but I think this would be a good idea as an attempt to get our sport out there, even just a little bit, maybe even recruit some new players...

:arrow: We could pick an upcoming day to hold it that everyone or at least the majority could agree on (preferably in a month or so, so we can promote the idea to the footbag community a little more thoroughly)

:arrow: You and your shred team or even just you and a friend who kicks could go to a spot near your home in the view of the public, kick there, and put up signs promoting footbag and encourage people to kick with us, offering basic footbag education for anyone willing to learn.

:arrow: We could try to come up with some printable instructional pamphlets that everyone here on modified can print off individually and hand them out to people who seem interested in learning.

:arrow: Let the public know we fucking exist! All around the world!

COME ON, PEOPLE! I'm sick and tired of seeing this sport dwindle. Two people I know just quit out on it this week. We need to do something to bring it back!

If you're gonna hate on me for trying to help our sport, fine, do it, but I'd rather get off my ass and try to do something about it, rather than sit around and watch our sport (*gulp*) fade out and complain about it.

I know I've posted a lot of stupid hokey plots to spread the word of footbag to the public, but this is one I KNOW will work. I'm dead serious about this idea. Who's with me?
AllanHaggett wrote:Freedom Footbags Freestyle Footbag Fundamentals Flyer

It’s a 10 megabyte PDF that is two pages; it is meant to be printed on both sides of 1 sheet of paper, folded in half, twice.
We shot the video of Jim. I exported the frames, and Daryl went through each frame of each move and created this. It took him … I don’t know how long.

There’s a hidden Freedom Footbags logo in there somewhere …
Last edited by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic on 31 Aug 2011 19:37, edited 3 times in total.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

The Rhino
Fearless

Post by The Rhino » 27 Jun 2011 22:29

In

landon palmer
Shredalicious

Post by landon palmer » 28 Jun 2011 08:27

i read an article about this on 12ounceprophet apparently alot of new york's pedestrian traffic came to a halt cause it was such a big deal. “It was complete chaos, people were genuinely scared. People running off the streets and sidewalks to find safety on their stoops, traffic at a stand still, bikers and pedestrians getting frustrated. Taking to the streets from the LES park and crossing over the Williamsburg Bridge felt just like the opening scene to “Hot Chocolate”. Some one also broke the record for distance ollie jumping over 21 boards.

wish we where this cool

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 28 Jun 2011 12:25

This is a great idea! It also presents an opportunity to get 'rusty' players out for at least one day of playing (which may lead to more). Make it sometime in August after Worlds so that people will be hyped?

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Re: "Play Footbag Day"??? (READ THIS!)

Post by Zeb Jackson » 28 Jun 2011 13:54

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote: If you're gonna hate on me for trying to help our sport, fine, do it, but I'd rather get off my ass and try to do something about it, rather than sit around and watch our sport (*gulp*) fade out and complain about it.

I know I've posted a lot of stupid hokey plots to spread the word of footbag to the public, but this is one I KNOW will work. I'm dead serious about this idea. Who's with me?
oh man, you hit the nail right on the head there, we need more people like you in this sport.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 28 Jun 2011 13:56

Ok. :)
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 28 Jun 2011 18:17

I'm in. but hurt However, I think I much better strategy would be to set footbag.org as the homepage at electronic stores.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 28 Jun 2011 20:22

Dante, I like that idea of having it after worlds. I think people would dig that. SO happy that a few of you are liking my idea so far. And Zeb, thanks a lot man, I really smiled when I read that, I'm just trying to help out our sport. Landon, we can be that cool :wink:

I plan on talking to a few people tomorrow who might be able to help us with the idea. I have to propose it to them, but hopefully, they like the idea.

Any other ideas for this, blurt them out! I can't do all of this alone! I need you guys to help spread the word and get people to post in here and hopefully spread this thing FAR.

Spread the word and tell your crew/friends! A holiday like Go Skateboarding Day just starts with a single idea, then spreads to the masses. Hoping we can spread this as far as possible to every nook of the world. (Think Globally!)
Nick Polini

Funblog

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 28 Jun 2011 20:50

We need to set a date. I think after worlds is good, but a date is needed. Weekends would probably be best for those who work?

Once we have a date we can start marketing. Online, through flyers and posters, ect. Now is a-good time to ask... Should it be "Play Footbag day!" or "Play Hacky Sack day"?

landon palmer
Shredalicious

Post by landon palmer » 28 Jun 2011 21:26

I like this. I bet we could make an event on facebook and invite tens of thousands of people just like those "skip buying gas for day" events.

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 29 Jun 2011 01:28

Footbagger007 wrote:I'm in. but hurt However, I think I much better strategy would be to set footbag.org as the homepage at electronic stores.
Genius... do the same for every library, school or office PC. If a friend leaves their phone unattended, change their background to someone mid-whirl. Then proceed to hit whirl, with their newly decorated phone, right in front of their eyes!

Serious answer : Im in, definitly. If each player could capture one clip as well; a sick three or something on those lines; we could tack them together into one big video as a lasting reminder.
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 29 Jun 2011 04:18

Guess im in as well. Concerning the print out hand out, freedom footbags freestyle footbag fundamentals flyer is out there. So, this work has been done allready!
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 29 Jun 2011 04:52

Exactly, Mahhkohh! I plan on talking to Sunny Genz tonight to see if she would supply an online printable version of those pamphlets.

I plan on talking to her as soon as I get home from work today.

Glad to see more of you guys are taking kindly to this idea. Ian, I like the idea of filming during this. I was thinking about that last night. It would be cool to get a lot of footage all over the world from this.
Nick Polini

Funblog

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 29 Jun 2011 12:44

as far as i know the flyer was for free and is available on freedomfootbags.com ! the whole idea of this was stuff like this! to have something to hand out when you are outside and kick. me and a few guys translated it into german so we can use it as well! :)
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 29 Jun 2011 12:57

WyrmFyre wrote:If a friend leaves their phone unattended, change their background to someone mid-whirl. Then proceed to hit whirl, with their newly decorated phone, right in front of their eyes! .
Or you could text them what you're going to hit, and then hit it with their phone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1lIumaHum0&fmt=18[/youtube]

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 29 Jun 2011 14:21

It might be beneficial to do this on a day where people are already outdoors en masse, like U.S.A. Independence Day, or something.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 29 Jun 2011 18:26

mahhkohh wrote:as far as i know the flyer was for free and is available on freedomfootbags.com ! the whole idea of this was stuff like this! to have something to hand out when you are outside and kick. me and a few guys translated it into german so we can use it as well! :)

That's PERFECT! Where on the site is it? Can't seem to find it. But this sounds just like what we need man!

Erik, I like that idea too. Might be a little too short notice though. I like the thought though. It would be good to do it on a day where tons of people are about... more public view.

Keep throwing ideas out here guys! The more the merrier.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Allan

Post by Allan » 29 Jun 2011 20:30

I can help with the freedom flyer; it got misplaced in all the site restructuring recently. I'm digging around for it now and will post a follow up ... soon.

A

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 30 Jun 2011 04:14

Allan, that would be awesome if you could supply that for us. Something like that would be really helpful to this event/holiday. Good luck finding it. Can't wait to see what you dig up.

So, Worlds is July 31 - Aug 6. I still like Dante's idea the most; I think we should have it after worlds, so people can get psyched on it. Most likely on a weekend, too.

Any suggestions for weekend dates after worlds that work for everyone?
Nick Polini

Funblog

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 30 Jun 2011 09:24

Hmm, no great holidays that I can think of in August. Lots of local stuff though. Maybe have it the weekend after Worlds (13/14) so that hype is maxed and people are watching videos from Helsinki? At the start of routine videos or in the comments we could put a note about Play Footbag Day. get people into it, organize some things in major cities for getting people together.

I know in Stratford I could perform downtown for all the tourists any day of the festival theatre season and get a great response. 8) After all, Justin Bieber started out by busking in Stratford!